Author Topic: sneak peek  (Read 3050 times)

Offline HighEagle

sneak peek
« on: February 26, 2014, 05:51:17 am »
I have not been around for awhile think my last post was about a year ago, I started this maple/ hick backed bow 61" ntn last June and only working on it a 20 30 min. at a time between a full time cowboy job and a full Honey Do list on days off. Only getting back to it steady cause i'm about house bound with a tore ACL. My first snakeskin back over Hick. The Maple was wood myself and two friends cut years ago when I lived in Oregon. I used most of it making banjos and a few other projects. Lots of flame reminds me of flintlock rifle stocks.

The other bow 66" ntn Hazelnut with Linen back the stick was a little sketchy standing dead, bug holes, some rot a neighbor gave it to me with a few others I took them and used most of them for chicken roost, But this one split straight down the whole length I popped it open said what the heck got after it with the hatchet and rasp. ended up in the corner but now and then I would have a 15 20min session with it it started to look like a bow. The wife keep saying your wasting your time shes going to blow hasn't yet.  I gave it lots of heat limb string alignment by the time I got it right it was about heat treated has taken very little set if any The bow pulling 35 40lbs at 28

Whelp hope to finish soon i,ll send the FD and good brace profile when done. It has taken me hours trying to remember how to resize and post pics. Its good to be back I have been keeping my eye on you all sure some super nice bows coming out. Thanks for looking

Take care your friend, Chuck

[imghttp://][/im

g]

Armstrong, BC

Offline Badly Bent

Re: sneak peek
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 06:10:33 am »
Man you weren't kidding that is some flaming maple on the belly of that bow, very nice looking stuff. Both bows look great, look forward to seeing more pics when you post em'. Nice work.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 06:53:58 am »
That's some beautiful wood,looking forward to seeing more.  :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 08:56:10 am »
Good to see ya around again n whittling chuck...cool maple on that one :)

Offline ohma2

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 09:13:46 am »
Very nice , like that maple.

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 09:17:13 am »
beautiful bow, sorry about the ACL, No fun having one.
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline 4dog

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 10:38:05 am »
nice bows..that maple is beautiful!
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 01:24:51 pm »
Sweet bows Chuck!!! Nice work. Hope that acl heals up soon. Hey you mentioned making banjos, thats a project on my someday list. I'd love to see some pics.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 01:33:30 pm »
I thought that tiger maple wasn't good for bows because of the irregular grain? I was told it will Chrystal. Hopefully I'm wrong. Very nice looking bows
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline HighEagle

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 06:44:12 pm »
Dave, these are the last two banjos I made. The Black is made from a 2x4 for the neck and ply-wood pot the other was made from a oak and mahogany pallet board got the plans from one of the first Foxfire books I think it was vol.3  It would really look cool made from Osage

[imghttp://][/img]

Blaflair,  So for so good on signs of any frets shot it a fair bit and check it after each shot. If any thing fails it maybe the Hickory backing in the side profile I have a visible glue line a little thicker then other part on the bow..

Take Care, Chuck
Armstrong, BC

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 07:17:29 pm »
Nice looking bows & banjos.

Offline bubby

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 07:25:00 pm »
nice bows and banjos, I've eyeballed those in the foxfire book's too, also the banjos with a gourd , cool stuff
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 07:25:44 pm »
Those are some lookers!
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline randman

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 08:29:15 pm »
Man that bow's pretty! Love the banjers....So frets on a banjo neck would be fine , right?
I have that Old Foxfire book too. I like where the ol guy says that "Cat Skin" makes the best. LOL
Been eyeing those kittys ever since........ I've also been buying up any wood salad bowls I find in goodwill for bowl banjos (made similar to a gourd banjo).
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline HighEagle

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 11:00:41 pm »
Thanks for looking Randman,

Yes frets in this case would be alright, but no frets is still even better I love the sound of the fretless banjo. So you think you can back a bow with a cat skin?
Armstrong, BC