Author Topic: ipe board.  (Read 7638 times)

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
ipe board.
« on: March 03, 2014, 03:33:24 am »
Hey y'all Tim here. I have this ipe board that I have 1 1/2"x1 3/4"x83 3/8" long. I'm wondering if I can do anything with
This it has several knots I would like to try elb and back it with hickory or linen. What do y'all think should I scrap it because of the knots or is it salvageable. Thanks ahead of time for any input.  Tim
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

mikekeswick

Re: ipe board.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 03:51:36 am »
Well it's hard to tell from here wether the knots will actually be in the bow once it's roughed out.
If the knots are on the belly face once roughed out then forget it. Ipe needs to be clean. I've tried to use pieces with tiny pin knots and they always come and bite you on the as#  ;) They can hold up to full draw but....eventually they chyrsal.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 06:58:26 am »
The pictures are too small for me to see the knots. Try uploading the pics to www.tinypic.com and post the new pics. This message board downsizes most pics so much, that it almost becomes a thumbnail icon.

Judging from the number of circles I can see you drew onto the board, I'm afraid there might be too many knots to make that board salvageable. You can sometimes lay out the bow so a knot ends up in the handle or tip (where the knot won't bend). But with this many knots, there's a high chance at least a few knots will end up in the bending portions of the limb. And ipé does not fare well around the knots...
A linen backing will not have the capacity to save the board. Hickory might, but that depends on the knots.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 07:25:16 am »
I thought it wouldn't work but I just thought I'd ask...I can use this board in other projects so I won't be losing anything.   Thanks for the input.  :)

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 09:46:55 am »
That piece of ipe is junk. I'm going to send you my address in a PM so you can send it to me for proper disposal.  8)

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 09:58:48 am »
adb...should I through caution to the wind and just give itna try.?.  :laugh:

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 03:23:08 pm »
Unlike Mike, I've never had any problems with little knots or grain swirls with ipe belly wood in a laminate. Hell, yah... make a bow out of it! Laminate some maple, ash, or hickory on the back, and have at it. ELB, flatbow, pyramid bow... ipe will do all those with ease.

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 10:16:22 pm »
adb...I'll try it...can't hurt nothing.   I have a good pcs. Of hickory for the back. We have some good weather coming to town so I'll be able to get outside and work. I'll post some pics. I think I can keep most of the knots in the handle area. Thanks for the advice.

mikekeswick

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 04:05:39 am »
I'm very surprised you haven't had any problems with pin knots in ipe. I guess it's to do with how strained you make your bows?? How wide would you rough out a 72 ntn elb if you were aiming for a 60# ipe/hick combo.
They don't always give up but they can so I stay well away from them now.

By the way remember the handle/fades area is the most strained of all......unless it's not bending at all.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 09:26:07 am »
I'm with ADB . back it with a wood backing,  and it will be fine. The shot of the end grain tells the rest of the story. Rift sawn boards give you more leeway  . The grain run offs and swirls are reinforced by the growth rings next to it (in most cases).  I've made bows that look terrible (as far as grain ) when viewed from one side , but with the rift sawn you have to look at the whole thing to wrap your head around what's going on.

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 09:54:18 am »
So should I try to bring it down to a growth ring or just back it as is? I can use all 83" if need be.  The rings or so small its hard to follow.  I have two pcs. Of 60" hickory and one pcs. Of 73" for backing.  I know 83" would be a looong bow but if it puts less stress on the limbs I will do what I have to.

Offline adb

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 11:09:25 am »
Unless you're making a high draw weight warbow, more than 80" is too long. You'll have too much limb mass. If you want an ELB, make it 72", a flatbow 64-68" and no more than 1 3/8" at the fades. Ipe is very tough wood, and compression strong, and it doesn't take much ipe to make a bow.

Don't chase a ring if you're backing it. Not likely possible anyway, and not necessary.

Offline adb

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 11:16:23 am »
I'm very surprised you haven't had any problems with pin knots in ipe. I guess it's to do with how strained you make your bows?? How wide would you rough out a 72 ntn elb if you were aiming for a 60# ipe/hick combo.
They don't always give up but they can so I stay well away from them now.

By the way remember the handle/fades area is the most strained of all......unless it's not bending at all.

If I'm making an Elb backed ipe longbow, I go no more than 1 1/8" at the grip, tapering evenly to 3/8" tips with a 4" handle. I start at 1" thick, and floor tiller from there.
I've never had a backed ipe bow fail. Probably made 50 or 60 ipe bows, maybe more. I've broken a few on the tiller, but very rare. I like ipe, it's tough wood, and I can get it easily and for low cost.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 11:23:29 am by adb »

Offline Jesse

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2014, 03:13:19 pm »
I dont think I have made one that didn't have at least one pin knot. I have yet to see ipe fret.  Im sure it can I just haven't had it happen.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2014, 12:48:39 pm »
Is it ok to back ipe with ash? Im wondering because I can get that pretty easily.  Thanks. Timothy