Author Topic: yew takedown  (Read 34546 times)

Offline Richard B

yew takedown
« on: March 04, 2014, 05:24:00 pm »
I have recently acquired a pair of yew billets and am hoping to make a sleeve type takedown longbow from them. My previous experience of bow making is limited and I appreciate that this is quite an ambitious project. I am hoping that by going slowly and carefully I can make it work. Time will tell!

The billets are just about 1 year old and I have just finished removing the bark with a knife and scraper to reveal a nice, defect free back on both staves (allowing for a few small pin knots).

The sapwood is a bit thicker on one billet, however, tapering from about 5/16” down to ¼” compared to the other which tapers from just under 1/4 “ to just over 1/8”.
I guess I could thin out the thicker one a bit, but it seems a shame to depart from the nice surface I got after debarking and risk losing my way chasing a ring.

Offline burchett.donald

Re: yew takedown
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 05:52:34 pm »
Beautiful billets...Good luck and keep us posted...And welcome to PA
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline bow101

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 06:01:44 pm »
Welcome RB.  Nice looking yew, looking forward to your build.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 06:58:10 pm »
Personally, I wouldn't worry about removing sapwood.  I would work with them as they are now.  Nice billets. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Hamish

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 07:03:10 pm »
If the billets were cut only a year ago I would let them sit another year, especially if you want to attach them to sleeves. Not a good idea to have the wood shrink in the cross section after it has been glued.

If you haven't made at least 2 decent bows yet you should get some experience with some cheaper wood before attempting yew. Yew is not necessarily any more difficult to work than other woods, but its not the kind of wood to use when learning because it takes so long to grow. Make a mistake and it really is a waste.
Get some skills in tillering, make mistakes if your going to with some less valuable stuff, by that time your yew will be properly seasoned and you will be confident to do it justice.

Offline Richard B

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 05:08:43 pm »
Many thanks for the comments. To be honest, have been feeling a bit nervous about diving into those nice yew billets. I think I will take Hamish's advice and have a go with some wood that I can be more relaxed about while the yew drys out a little more.

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 06:50:38 pm »
Good idea. Those are gorgeous yew billets and it would be a shame to ruin them due to inexperience. Get your hands on some inexpensive maple or hickory boards and have at it. Walk, then run.  ;)

Offline Gordon

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 09:06:11 pm »
I think that is wise. Those are some prime yew billets you have there - it would be a shame to mess those up.
Gordon

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 05:40:08 pm »
Now I recognize those billets ;)  Glad you found your way here to PA Richard.  Great advice given above.  It might be a good idea to seal the backs lightly as well.  Look forward to seeing what you end up once you do get to these. 
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Richard B

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 05:48:13 pm »
Thanks Carson, I'll put some polyurethane on the backs when i get home at the weekend. They are in a cool room inside and I think the humidity is quite high with all the rain we have been having so hopefully they should be OK.

Offline dmenzies1950

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 12:52:08 am »
I wouldn't worry about taking off sapwood. I personally think that a year is plenty of time to dry those out, but that's just me. I fear that at my age I can't afford to wait too long or I'll be dead! I usually rough the bow out right away secure it to a 2x6 and put it a warm place for two or three months and I'm ready to finish it off. It works for me, but I know plenty of the guys will disagree. For what it's worth.                 Dale
"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24

Offline Richard B

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2014, 12:29:36 pm »
Starting to work on fitting the sleeves. Working down the section of one of the billets, two knots that were tiny pins on the belly, have been growing as I get closer to the depth of the sleeve. One (smaller) will be right on the sleeve boundary and the other (larger one) will be in the fade area (see picture below).

The back of the bow is clean (i.e. both knots are grown over at some depth).
I guess that knots around the sleeve boundary are not a good idea, even if they are in compression.

At the moment, the billet is just under 38 inches long, so I could remove a couple of inches and still have a 72" bow. This would get rid of the smaller knot and bury the bigger one inside the sleeve. What do you think?

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2014, 09:06:51 pm »
Nice billets. Even with yew I had that was 4 years old and up, after I roughed them out and weighed them they still lost some weight for another month. If you don't have a scale, I'd rough them out with some extra meat, then stash them under my bed for another month or 2.

Offline Richard B

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 03:51:31 pm »
Thanks for the advice wizardgoat. The staves have been indoors over a hot and dry summer (by English standards!) and don't seem to have lost any weight in the last few months. I agree, though ,that reducing their thickness, exposing some of the inner wood and seeing how they go for a time might be a good idea.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 06:34:40 pm »
Richard, I think the knots will be fine. I would try to avoid leaving them exposed along the edge there, but it doesn't look like that is an issue from where they lie.  The thing you will need to avoid in order to have a durable long-lasting take-down is the stepped shoulder going into the sleeves.  It needs to be a smooth gradual reduction in width down into the sleeves.  Don't leave any shoulder, not even butting up to the brass.  This is tempting to do in an effort to make the surfaces of the brass and billet smooth, but it is better to leave the edge of the ferrules proud and smoothly run the wood into the sleeve.  I have seen a couple of yew take-downs develop lifted splinters when shouldering the joint.