Author Topic: Some DIY Backpacking Gear  (Read 10893 times)

Offline 4est Trekker

Some DIY Backpacking Gear
« on: March 08, 2014, 11:08:37 am »
A few folks asked if I'd post a some pictures of some of my backpacking gear that I've been making lately.  So, here's a few of my projects as of late:

Ultralight Backpack:
-4000 cubic inches
-Side compression tensioned with LineLocs
-Removable top pouch with Omnitape closure (has belt loops for using as belt pack)
-Three external pockets
-Double layer bottom
-Uses either my foot pad/sit pad or my 3/4 length Z-Rest pad as the back pad and bag structure
-Fully bound internal seams
-DIY embroidered patch
-Weight (without back pad) is 21.5 oz

Winter Tarp:
This is made specifically for use with hammocks, but works for ground dwelling as well.  It's made from 1.1 silnylon and has catenary-cut edges for a taut pitch.  I've fitted it with internal poles to provide more room for my bridge hammocks and to create a more rigid structure in wind, rain, snow loads, etc.  They also make it a breeze to pitch in porch mode.  The "doors" on the ends can be closed in inclement/cold weather or opened up to let it breeze, provide more overhead coverage, etc.  Total weight with ridgleline, guy outs, stakes, and stuff sack is 29 oz.  The poles weigh 7 oz each.  It's a little heavy by my standards, but the peace of mind of provides warrants its place in my pack.

Hex Tarp:
This is also made from 1.1 oz silnylon but has removable doors to cut weight in fairer weather/warmer months.  It also has an internal pole structure.  On both tarps, the poles slide into pockets and are secured at the ridgeline by a length of grosgrain.  Total weight for this one, including ridgeline, guyouts, and stakes is 24 oz.  Each pole again weighs 7 oz.

"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline 4est Trekker

Re: Some DIY Backpacking Gear
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 11:09:16 am »
Down Underquilt
This is my winter down underquilt, which goes underneath the hammock to provide insulation.  It also converts into a topquilt if needed.  It's got just over 3" of loft that has kept me warm down dow -5 F.

Bridge Hammock
This is one of my bridge hammocks.  I use my trekking poles as spreader bars to save weight and bulk in my pack.  I've added a couple of gear lofts at each end to keep things up off the ground.

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 12:55:13 pm »
Is there anything you don't do well?  ::) Boy, talk about feeling inadequate!  ???
 Very nice work, 4est. Well done all around.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 01:30:42 pm »
Cook, Pat...I can't cook to save my life.  I'm working right now on lunch for my kids while momma is out for coffee with her sister...they would concur that this is something I certainly cannot do well.  :-\

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 03:04:01 pm »
Nice looking gear. Great skill set there...No worries on the cooking..They make Beenie Weenies for a reason...LOL
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 03:32:45 pm »
That is some really nice equipment with great design features and very impressive construction, you have some amazing talent 4est.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 05:11:09 pm »
Man, I really love sleeping in a hammock.  Was concerned about it when I started having problems with reflux, but scootching the head end up a little higher when tying off to a tree fixed things just nifty. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Adam

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 10:58:41 pm »
That's some pretty impressive gear!

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 12:49:51 am »
Wow.  That is some very impressive workmanship.  Very very cool.

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 07:23:12 am »
Man this is some cool stuff ! Hard to believe you made this outstanding work! Do you make these for sale or are you possibly thinking about putting these designs into production? Very nice stuff. We are issued a couple different "Tactical Tailor" packs over here and I sleep in a Kelty sleeping bag when I am out on missions (inadequate btw). This winter here in Afghanistan I found myself in want of a better bag more than once. Would have killed for that one you made !

I swear you would be hard pressed to find a more talented group of people than the ones on this forum!
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 09:23:57 am »
Cool work. I can see sewing is a hobby I need to study. The possibilities are endless!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 10:02:37 am »
I have been using a hammock for camping since last summer. I don't have a good tarp for over top it yet. I am just using a standard blue tarp that I string up. I have an ENO hammock and the bug net. I like your weather tarp idea with the internal poles. The lack of width and the constricting feel of a regular hammock  make the bridge hammock look  inviting. Is there something I can do like that for  my regular hammock at least on the shoulder end of it.   
Having said that I find the  hammock so comfortable that I have been sleeping in it every night for the last 4 months, in the house.  Went back to a bed for a night or two and felt like crap in the morning.   I slept outside  5 nights this winter in temps down to 5 degrees in just a military mummy bag with a wool liner, with a wool blanket thrown over the top. First winter camping I have ever done..  The wool liner is very constricting and can be a bit claustrophobic if not used to it.  The second night of a camping out weekend I woke up at 3 am gasping for breath dreaming that someone had grabbed me around the chest and I couldn't breathe. Couldn't get out of my bag fast enough and it freaked me out.  Spent the rest of the night in the cabin.  Next night before going to bed I used my knife to open the seams of the wool liner so that I could get my arms out side of it and have been fine since.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 07:39:53 pm by caveman2533 »

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2014, 04:27:10 pm »
Always nice to see another hammock camper. I made my own, extra long, double layer so I can put a pad in between the layers until I make an under quilt, cheap tarp that is probably inadequate but I rarely get to camp in mine so its no big deal. I don't know why but I will sleep forever in a hammock. Its like entering a time machine: lay down and instantly its 12 hours later.

Your workmanship is superb.

For anyone else reading this that doesn't use a hammock you should check out Shug on youtube.

Patrick

Offline Strongbow

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2014, 09:30:05 pm »
Very cool work 4est!  I have been considering switching to hammock camping for several year but the combo of money for new gear and lack of time to camp has prevented it so far.  Very ingenius designs, and I like how you make use of gear more than once to save weight. 

Offline Parnell

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2014, 12:54:13 pm »
Man, I'm impressed.  Wow!  Something you learned to do on the internet?  How long you been at this craft?
1’—>1’