Author Topic: Some DIY Backpacking Gear  (Read 10892 times)

Offline paoliguy

Re: Some DIY Backpacking Gear
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2014, 01:10:18 pm »
The workmanship is impressive. I don't think I will ever attempt anything like that but I sure appreiciate seeing the fine work you put into that.

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2014, 04:15:16 pm »
that is some cool gear!
45# at 27"

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2014, 11:00:03 pm »
Thanks, all :)  There is definitely a lot of "fiddle factor" to hammock camping.  It's takes time, trial, and error to get your system to work well together, especially at cold temps.  It sure makes being in the woods a pretty special experience.  Nothing like swaying in the breeze on a warm summer night or huddling down in a pile of downy-goodness when the snow is flying outside your tarp. 

Making my own gear is something I've always worked at, but this is the first time I've made any of these items. I got into hammock camping a few years ago but didn't have much early success because I didn't have the money to invest in a proper system.  Months of research and discussion over on hammockforums.com as well as tons of experimentation has been worth it. 

I agree...if you want to learn the basics of hammocking and be entertained in the process, check out Shug's YouTube channel.  You can even catch his video report of his -40F hang this winter.  YIKES!  :o 
"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline bowsandroses

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2014, 12:33:30 am »
Don't know if I'm ready for hammock camping yet but the fact you built all that gear yourself is impressive. Has to be rewarding hats' off to you sir ;)   Hugh
My two cents worth of wisdom
One who seeks solitude will find their inner spirit.

A man who speaks to critters is a man with an audience who listens
                                              Hugh Ridenour

Offline Kullas

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2014, 01:55:11 pm »
Very nice gear, another tree dweller  ;)