Author Topic: Shagbark sapling bow-Got a re-work.  (Read 7592 times)

Offline Dvshunter

Re: Shagbark sapling bow (pictures fixed)
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2013, 06:56:45 pm »
Nice looking bow. I like the color job you did on it.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline DuBois

Re: Shagbark sapling bow (pictures fixed)
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2013, 01:16:02 am »
I love sapling bows! Why wait until the tree grows all that extra wood anyway!  ;) Nice job on this one.

Gabe
I am with ya. I basically hatcheted the belly side of this and had a clean back under the bark since it peeled right off when I cut it. The impression I get from others is that hickory does well with a flat belly and crowned back anyway so.. :D

The bark from this dried almost stiff enough to make a bow all by itself so I think I will try one next with the bark on for backing.

Offline soy

• pm106221
Re: Shagbark sapling bow
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2013, 01:25:46 am »
I would not leave the bark on for backing even though I would rather shave the wood then the bark....anyway cool colors turned out nice looking ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline randman

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2013, 08:15:29 pm »
Very nice Marco! Love the color and what you did on the knots on the back. Looks like a blackthorn shillelagh or something. Some might say it's a tiny bit whip tillered (could be the pic angle) but I would call that more of a Sudbury tiller (IMHO) and I have a couple that have that tiller shape myself. Short bow (at each end) with a long unbending handle in the middle, Gives the performance of a shorter bow with the sweet stackless draw of a longer bow, to use the description in TBB.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2013, 02:01:21 am »
Nicely done Sir!  I'm a sucker for sapling bows.  Especially hickory!  Josh

Offline DuBois

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2013, 09:15:05 am »
Very nice Marco! Love the color and what you did on the knots on the back. Looks like a blackthorn shillelagh or something. Some might say it's a tiny bit whip tillered (could be the pic angle) but I would call that more of a Sudbury tiller (IMHO) and I have a couple that have that tiller shape myself. Short bow (at each end) with a long unbending handle in the middle, Gives the performance of a shorter bow with the sweet stackless draw of a longer bow, to use the description in TBB.
Yeah, that's right. I was going for the Sudbury tiller  ??? ;D Thanks for the compliment Rand and I got that hackberry split. Any news from our man on Bainbridge?
Nicely done Sir!  I'm a sucker for sapling bows.  Especially hickory!  Josh
Thanks Josh, wasn't sure when I started it but sounds like hickory is a prety good candidate for saplings

Offline DuBois

Re: Shagbark sapling bow-Got a re-work.
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2014, 08:16:45 pm »
ttt