Author Topic: Primitive CO archery elk hunt!  (Read 3804 times)

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
Primitive CO archery elk hunt!
« on: February 21, 2014, 02:24:22 am »
Last year a very expeirenced elk hunter showed me the ropes with area 65 in CO.  It was incredible.  My friend got a 295 bull! It was freikin huge!  I want to go back this year with my primitive equipment but have no one to go with, which is a bit scary.  I do have a connection to horse out elk we may kill for a reasonable price.  My back can't pack out an entire elk again.  God that was insane!  let me know if you are interested and a relaxed cool person.  Seriously tensions can run high with a week in the wild if you are high strung.  I'm super laid back but a very serious hunter as well.  Let me know if you're interested.  - Rob
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline kleinpm

Re: Primitive CO archery elk hunt!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 09:35:45 am »
Sounds like you had a great time. I wish you luck on finding a partner.

I hunt Montana, solo. I also live a few miles from where I hunt so not the same thing as you, but I wouldn't let the lack of a partner keep you from going especially if you have access to horses. I have solo back pack hunted before, in grizzly country, and its really not a big deal.

Patrick

Stringman

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 10:58:23 am »
I'm curious, when did you go? I've been twice to Colorado, but haven't had much luck. Both trips were planned around the first week of Sept. and admittedly, the action has not heated up yet. At this point I'm kinda thinkin, it's gonna take an outstanding area for me to have any success during the early season. Where is 65?

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 02:35:01 pm »
PAHunter, you are correct. Those 28 hour drives out, up at 4 o'clock and hunting till dark, then a fast meal and begin again will push you to your limits. I have made 5 trips out to Colorado and it has tested friendships a couple times, but we realize it has a lot to do with stress and pressure and get over it.

We have taken two elk, both 6x6 and they are incredible animals.

First year out for early archery and the elk were off the hook bugling and moving. Last four years has been slow, hot little to no bugling. It's like a drug, just trying to find that excited bugling elk again. But that is elk hunting.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 11:23:52 am »
65 is west of Gunnison.  We went opening week last year.  I only heard one bugle on the last day.  I do prefer the warmer weather.  These guys have been doing it forever and explain how years have varied.  They have varied success which as far as I can tell is directly proportional to the miles they are willing to put on out there.  I only saw 3 elk off in the far end of a hidden field.  It was about dark so I decided to hunt the field for the next few nights with no success.  I also saw about 10 mule deer and 5 moose.  I really love whitetail hunting and I may love elk even more after just one trip. 
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline Little John

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 11:10:59 pm »
Elk hunting is the best. Wishing you all the best in luck and adventure, less than six months now.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 12:01:34 am »
Hey Rob..Maybe I'll join ya....LOL ::) ::)
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 01:41:34 am »
Thanks LittleJ, it will be a blast, kill or no kill!
Bill, ya maybe I can put up with ya for a week.  ;)  It will be like nothing you have experienced bro, I can promise you that!  As long as we can agree on a week with my friends we should be able to carpool out, which means more days to hunt!  woot!  I'm figuring out what calls to get now.  I'm thinking hoochie momma for cow and I'm getting my buddy's recommendation on bull calls.  We'll get some maps marked up by my buddy Don who has hunted there for 40 or 50 years.  We'll be ready to roll!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 02:55:03 am »
Elk are like a drug, Once in the blood, hard to get out...You should try the Ho Rain Forest on the West Coast of the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State. When a Huge Roosevelt comes your way, and you are sitting there with a stick, string, and piece of rock...Kinda puts life into a new perspective....Colorado is a great place to hunt also, but have boycotted them due to Draconian Gun Laws...My loss..
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.