Author Topic: How much kinetic energy is needed for elk?  (Read 36075 times)

Offline Mohawk13

Re: How much kinetic energy is needed for elk?
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2014, 02:39:50 am »
Might be dating Myself here, But the first 6x6 I tagged, was shot at 15 yards with a Bear Kodiak Magnum, #45@28 with an Easton 2217. 30" with a Savora Sattelite broad head. Pass through, and the Bull piled up in 40 yards

Second one took 5 rounds through the heart at 20 yards with a .30-06....went 1/2 mile into the deepest steepest draw it could find. Took me 2 days to get it packed up the hill and 5 miles to My VW Baja...Should have seen the MP's face at the Main Gate of Ft. Lewis...That one was a huge 5x5 and the antlers were sticking out either side of the front deck...to funny

Shot placement is key, But Mr. Elk will surprise the heck out of you sometimes...Sometimes will drop in its tracks, other times he will make you work for your meal...
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2014, 02:10:15 pm »
I have always wondered about the animal that takes huge punishment and runs forever, versus the single shot and a quick death.  I have never had a deer run with one of my .50 cal roundballs in 'em.  I shoot a light load of 70 grains, so the ball isn't exactly setting any land speed records either. 

On the other hand, I have a friend that is a much better shot than me, shoots a .54 and he hot loads 115 grains of powder. His loads are something like 75% more ft/lbs of energy and he has had to follow deer over a mile after he has shot them.  Granted, I tend to shoot deer while their heads are down, but I have also shot them when they were looking me in the eye. 

5 rounds from a dirty-ought-six and half a mile vs 40 yds from a broadhead out of a 45 lb bow?  I dunno.  How come some of us get lucky and drop animals clean and how come others go forever?  It's more than kinetic energy, it's more than whether the animal is aware of the hunter, it's more than broadhead vs bullet. 

I know I have often held my breath and given thanks for never having to bloodtrail a deer.  I know the basics of how to, read some articles, but I have virtually no experience and no faith in my ability to understand where a deer instinctually chooses to go.  Lucky I guess, but I'll take it! 

Hope you get a large dose of my luck and all your own well earned skill on this hunt, Brother Mohawk! Like most of us in here I can't wait to see the pics and hear the story when you get back!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2014, 02:52:20 pm »
Jdub I think your answer is adrenaline, when the animal is real hot and worked up they tend to run a lot farther than if they've got their head down in the grass.
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2014, 02:56:52 pm »
Doesn't answer for the deer I have spooked at close range, and shot when they stopped and looked back! One doe was visibly trembling with her tail straight up and every hair standing on end!  She went 40 yds and stopped again to look at me.  Meanwhile I looked like the Keystone Kops meets the Three Stooges meets Jeremiah Johnson as I was trying to reload my smokepole. 

It took me longer to find all the accoutrements that I had dropped on the ground than it did to field dress her!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2014, 05:32:14 pm »
well i don't have an answer for that one, every big game animal i've shot either dropped or or didn't go very far if they were relaxed, the couple i've shot that were real hot ran almost twice as far. what i said in that last post was purely my observations from animals i've shot .
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline Marks

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2014, 06:27:54 pm »
I have always wondered about the animal that takes huge punishment and runs forever, versus the single shot and a quick death. 

Its a good question. I don't have any primitive kills yet but I shot a whitetail doe with a 2 blade Magnus Stinger that didn't go 20 yds last year. About 100 yds from there a few years before I put 4 holes each about an inch apart starting right behind the shoulder in a 7 point with a .270 from 50 yds and the deer never flinched. I thought I was missing him until I saw some fur ruffle on the 4th shot. He just kept walking like nothing happened. Before I got off the 5th shot he walked into a thicket and fell dead but he never showed any sign of being hit till he fell.

Kenetic energy is above my pay grade. I are not that smart.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2014, 06:23:59 pm »
Don't forget those KE numbers are coming from a company who has a vested interest in convincing people that their current gear is inadequate and that they need to upgrade their equipment to be successful at hunting. I'd take it with a grain of salt and rely on 10,000+ years of anecdotal evidence. 

Offline Jeremy Holden

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2014, 11:09:53 am »
Don't forget those KE numbers are coming from a company who has a vested interest in convincing people that their current gear is inadequate and that they need to upgrade their equipment to be successful at hunting. I'd take it with a grain of salt and rely on 10,000+ years of anecdotal evidence.

BINGO!  It's all about the dollar for those folks.  I keep telling myself that the indians did it all by trial.  K.I.S.S. is my philosophy.  Keep It Simple Stupid.  But, I also commend your desire to research it before the moment of truth.  We all owe it to the animal.  No matter the size.

Jeremy

Offline Traxx

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2014, 03:55:13 pm »
Mohawk13,

Tells it like it is....

Offline Traxx

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2014, 04:00:10 pm »
And i would rate Blackies in the Medium game category.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2014, 04:48:36 pm »
Robb, I shot 2 elk in Colo. archery with a 49# recurve an she is a dog in fps. Shot placement an getting close is more important than K energy, Now for your choose of broadheads, I suppose I'm going to whiss somebody off but here goes, I personally would not use a vented head, :o :o >:( 2 blade solid is much stronger. What ever you use make sure they are hair popping sharp, Elk hair is like a dirty scrub brush an can dull blades fast, keep that in mind when ya start skinning, keep your knife out of the hair and under the hide. Their, just my .02 worth ;D. Bob

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2014, 12:13:04 am »
That sounds like good advice Bob, thanks.  You should come out this year and make it 3 elk!   ;D  ;)
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2014, 07:15:38 pm »
I second that Bob. One last Hurrah for Elk..and this time with a selfbow!
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline trad_bowhunter1965

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2014, 02:02:47 pm »
It is all about being a smart Bowhunter first you must be able to hit what you are aiming at them mean shooting a bow and arrow combo that you can handle. second is shot placement you got to put it in the boiler room they don't go far when you do that. Third you can be taking TV shot you have to get in close. Fourth make sure your broadhead is scary sharp.Thats my 2 cent.
If you see crazy coming cross the street