Author Topic: Tiller check? :)  (Read 3299 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Re: Tiller check? :)
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2018, 02:52:55 pm »
Thanks for all the input fellas.

DC, it's pulling 45# @ 27" which is full draw for me. It's a little less weight than I was shooting for so I'm glad to hear the tiller looks okay to everyone.

I have made plenty of mistakes and had lots of failures with this design BJ, so if I can be of any help it'll be advice on what not to do!  (--) Pearly and Ben (amongst many others) know a ton and have helped me a lot.

Ben, at first it wasn't easy to brace with all the early draw weight. It's not so bad now. That early draw weight can be deceiving, which has lead to a few coming out dramatically underweight.

I've looked at that bottom limb quite a bit TimBo and I think I've decided that if it is straightening out a bit more than the top I'm willing to accept it.

I'd like to see that too DC.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline ohma2

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2018, 06:09:35 pm »
Good lookin bow,put the finish on it .

Offline loon

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2018, 01:49:42 pm »
not sure if the 3rd pic is at an angle, hopefully this isn't misleading

Offline ponyboy

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2018, 05:11:11 pm »
I've never made a recurve, I've only made about six bows though, but can you just tiller it first, and then put the recurves in it with heat?

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2018, 07:36:30 pm »
Wow loon that's pretty amazing.  8) Thank you very, very much! Now with the tiles as a reference, the bottom limb looks like its bending just a tad more mid limb. I suspected that, so as I was sanding I spent a little extra time in the middle of the upper limb. Hope that did the trick. Fingers crossed.

Ponyboy, with this type of bow I only tiller just a little bit once the billets are spliced together. Then I heat in the recurves, and glue in more reflex when I add the backing. When the glue is dry I finish off the tiller.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 07:42:40 pm by upstatenybowyer »
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline DC

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2018, 02:23:41 pm »
That's interesting that almost half of the tip travel is used up just bracing the bow. I'll have to look at this a bit. Thanks Loon :)