Author Topic: Another boo - maple - osage  (Read 12276 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Another boo - maple - osage
« on: March 21, 2014, 03:11:01 pm »
78 ish nock to nock, 120 at 32. Just another boring bow I guess.   ??? (tiller ain't fantastic, I know,  :) )

I screwed the finish up on this one. I think my room I do my finishing in has been overcome with wood crap and dust from me working on bows and tracking it in. Had to steel wool all of the tru oil off. I used some black bison paste wax over it afterwards. The smell was horrible. So I made my own paste wax with using some carnuba flakes, some beeswax, and some turps. Which turned out pretty good, looks and smells nice at least, so I am happy. The wax I made works great, and is better than the pure beeswax paste wax I have used. Applied in very fine layers, and buffed out good. I need a better way to photograph my bows. I hate using the beat up old chair (that my wife won't let me get rid of because supposedly she bought it in france, or it is from france, or something like that, lol). I was thinking of making some kind of stand or something? I wish I had some land and some woods, that would be great to photograph bows against. My backyard sucks.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 03:14:09 pm by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline bubby

Re: Another boo - maple - osage
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 04:19:23 pm »
looks pretty nice to me toomany, take the bow to a park or down to a river if ya want better pics, bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bumppo

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 10:02:13 pm »
Looks great Daniel, send it to me in Alaska and I'll take some great pics of it! Maybe with a mountain or two in the background! Might take me a while to get it back to you though.......  ;D

Walt

Offline Shamusrobert

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 11:50:13 pm »
I like your work bro, looks like the cats keeping out of the snow. :)

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 12:36:13 am »
What's wrong with your tiller? Looks perfect to me. Another nice warbow tmk!

mikekeswick

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 01:58:11 am »
Sweet bow!
The bow speaks for itself...it doesn't need no fancy background  ;) Try using the sky as a background  ;)
Not many people can make 120#'ers - it isn't 'just another one'.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 04:23:07 am »
Yeah, totaly boaring with baaaaaaaaaaaaad tiller.......
 8) 8) 8)
Frank from Germany...

Offline ajooter

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 09:08:05 am »
I always love seeing your work.  That old chair has become your calling card.  I like the angles you take pictures from when the bow is sitting on it.  I know what you mewn about taking pictures though.  Not only are there some gifted bowyers on here but fantastic photographers!  Nice job on another one...nothing boring about it!  :)...Id love to try yarnin back on that baby!  >:D

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 01:41:14 pm »
Love that tiller every inch of her is working. Looks pretty good on the CD test :laugh:
Teeny bit whippy, which I like, I bet that will throw a flight arrow a loooooong way.
Aim one at my house... just point at London and shift a tad left :o
Del
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 01:44:42 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 01:59:17 pm »
Not only are there some gifted bowyers on here but fantastic photographers! 

+1000! I know!  :) Thanks everyone for the positive comments,  :). It does seem a bit whippy to me too. It so far has 1" of set on the upper limb, and about 3/4" on the lower limb. This is one of those bows that the tillering took so long, I eventually just gave up and waved the white flag/called it done, haha. It was longer, but the weight was too low for the length. So after piking it, it wanted to twist some. It had twisted before that, so I had corrected it by taking some off of one side of the belly like you do. But once again I had to correct it. And then the tiller needed more adjustment, etc. The thing that gets me is it seems to me the very center of the bow is bending a smudge too much? Like right in the center, 6" or so? But I guess you just have to be happy with what you got sometimes. I wonder if it will be shocky?

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 02:02:15 pm »
Looks great Daniel, send it to me in Alaska and I'll take some great pics of it! Maybe with a mountain or two in the background! Might take me a while to get it back to you though.......  ;D

Walt

Hey Walt, it's been a while, hope you and yours are doing well!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2014, 03:41:52 pm »

+1000! I know!  :) Thanks everyone for the positive comments,  :). It does seem a bit whippy to me too. It so far has 1" of set on the upper limb, and about 3/4" on the lower limb. This is one of those bows that the tillering took so long, I eventually just gave up and waved the white flag/called it done, haha. It was longer, but the weight was too low for the length. So after piking it, it wanted to twist some. It had twisted before that, so I had corrected it by taking some off of one side of the belly like you do. But once again I had to correct it. And then the tiller needed more adjustment, etc. The thing that gets me is it seems to me the very center of the bow is bending a smudge too much? Like right in the center, 6" or so? But I guess you just have to be happy with what you got sometimes. I wonder if it will be shocky?
Yeah, but if was easy... anyone could do it :laugh:
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2014, 04:07:47 pm »

Yeah, but if was easy... anyone could do it :laugh:
Del

:)

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2014, 04:58:53 pm »
I'm with Del on this one...Every inch of limb is working. Thats the first thing I said to myself when I looked at her!
Once again, I can't get over those sexy slim horn nocks!
Well done.

Offline WillS

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2014, 06:11:15 pm »
Boo-tiful, Daniel.  Nice one!  To my eyes it looks like there's a stiff spot from around the centre to 8" out on the right limb, and POSSIBLY (not sure though) its bending a bit too much after that point (kinda where the white paint is on that beam) but you're a far better bowyer than I could hope to be, so it might be just my inexperience talking there. 

Either way, it looks fast, and she's damn pretty.