Author Topic: Non-straight bows??  (Read 5336 times)

Offline TheDukesArchers

Non-straight bows??
« on: March 30, 2014, 10:24:45 pm »
Sometimes I'll come across a self warbow, especially Osage orange, and the bow isn't actually straight but kind of wonky in shape (if that makes sense?). What is the bowyers reason for doing this? Was he chasing the grain or something? I can't find the answer anywhere.

Offline Dvankirk58

Re: Non-straight bows??
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 11:58:21 pm »
They are called character or snakey bows and that is exactly what the bowyer is doing. If you fail to follow the grain your setting yourself up for failure.
Thank you,
Dennis Vankirk

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 04:37:41 pm »
Yew lets you get away with all kinds of things that will be a death sentence to other woods.  Following the wonky grain of osage is a MUST, especially if you expect to get any draw weight from the bow. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline TheDukesArchers

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 05:06:19 pm »
How about woods such as hickory and elm? I know with Osage you have to follow the grain.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 06:03:37 pm »
Much the same as osage.  It is the rule with virtually all woods that the grain dictates all.  But every rule has it's exceptions, yew offers support for those exceptions!

Silly yew!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 05:03:33 pm »
The only reason most Yew bows can tolerate some back violations is because they are usually made with a fairly deep D cross section, such as Longbows and Warbows.  This relieves some stress from the back.  A flat bellied Yew bow may not survive back violations
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Don Case

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 12:46:36 pm »
The only reason most Yew bows can tolerate some back violations is because they are usually made with a fairly deep D cross section, such as Longbows and Warbows.  This relieves some stress from the back.  A flat bellied Yew bow may not survive back violations

OK, now I'm confused. I thought that a deep section increased stress on the back AND belly. Is there a quick explanation?
Thanks
Don

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 09:03:53 pm »

OK, now I'm confused. I thought that a deep section increased stress on the back AND belly. Is there a quick explanation?
Thanks
Don

If you want to relieve stress from the back of a bow then round the belly.  Even a shallow D section bow will relieve some stress from the back.

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 01:04:12 pm »
"Even a shallow D section bow will relieve some stress from the back..." by putting it on the belly!
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 09:15:57 am »
"Even a shallow D section bow will relieve some stress from the back..." by putting it on the belly!

Exactly.  That is why only the most elastic of wood do well with a round belly.

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com