Author Topic: Another newbie here from Maine - PICS ADDED!!  (Read 5462 times)

Offline Blob

Another newbie here from Maine - PICS ADDED!!
« on: March 31, 2014, 03:30:46 pm »
Just thought I would offically say hello to everyone who has unknowingly helped me out with my bow building in the last few months. I am located in Central Maine not far from Bangor.

I have just started my own bowyering journey and having a blast so far.  My father has been building bows for years.  He has worked as a cabinet maker for as long as I can remember, and always looks through whatever lumber they are working with and sets aside the boards with a bow or two hidden inside.

My first sucessful bow was one that I apparently had started about 15-20 years ago.  It was a 60" piece of hornbeam that was partially shaped without any attention to grain orientation or runoff.  So as an experiment I flattened the back and used a seatbelt as a backing (I work in an Auto Dealer Parts Department) because I was terrified of it exploding on me.  So after a bit of scraping and nock end shaping I ended up with a mostly stiff handled 40#@26" shorty  with a scary looking tiller that is an absolute joy to shoot.  I have been chasing those wascally wabbits for the past 3 weeks with it.

The second that I just finished a week or so ago is a 70" Hickory backed Hickory with a Maple riser and tip overlays.  Pulls somewhere around 55-60# @ 26" (my scale only goes to 50#).  It has a bit of handshock but is tolerable.

I'll post pics a bit later as I am at work now.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 10:36:30 am by Blob »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Another newbie here from Maine
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 05:01:14 pm »
Welcome Blob. Looking forward to seeing your bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline 4dog

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 02:32:32 pm »
all are welcome!!
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline stickbender

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 05:17:42 pm »

All hail Blob!  Hail, and welcome.  :) You have interred a forum from which there is no escape. :o  It is in your mind, now, and will forever stay there.  There are many here who will console you with their knowledge, and skills.  Be at peace with that fact.  There is no direction, to go but towards steady improvement, in skills, and knowledge.  Always something new, and neat, on here.  And, all at your own pace.  No cranky people with rulers in their hands, telling you to hurry up! :o

Welcome, and enjoy!  Oh, it is a common thing to show pictures your bows, and arrows you have made.  Well, OK, it is a common nagging curiosity, of the forum members to see your bows.  Both , to glean ideas from you, suggest ideas, and just ogle, another bow, or arrow.  We are like that here. ::)  ;D

Wayne

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 06:29:35 am »
Welcome Bob,you will like it here,looking forward to seing some of your work. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Blob

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 10:29:12 am »
First is the short hornbeam:

Offline Blob

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 10:35:45 am »
Next is the Hickory backed Hickory:

Offline Gsulfridge

Re: Another newbie here from Maine - PICS ADDED!!
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 08:27:53 am »
Looks like you are off and running!  Welcome to the disease!!
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN