Author Topic: I was accused of being a wood hoarder...  (Read 5851 times)

Offline Patches

I was accused of being a wood hoarder...
« on: April 02, 2014, 02:51:03 pm »
A couple of my coworkers were talking about some people they know and were referring to them as "wood hoarders".  I asked what that was, and they said it was someone that collects and stores pieces of wood compulsively.  One guy laughed, looked straight at me and said "You know...like you do!"  So I have been officially labelled a wood hoarder by my coworkers.

My reasoning for gathering bow wood is simple...I hate to see a potentially useful piece of wood go to waste!  The guy calling me a wood hoarder had cleared several acres of timber on the family farm, and I got permission to go get anything I wanted.  I got some nice pieces of hackberry, walnut, hedge, and oak.  Problem is that my drying racks have been full for over a year now, and I doubt I will ever use all the wood that I have, but I still have this little "tik" in my brain that makes me pick up anything that I think would be useful for bows, arrows, atlatls, darts...get the picture?  I drove past a farm last weekend and seen where the new owners have pushed over several acres of hedge.  I am trying to find out who owns it to see if I can get in there before they burn it all.  I have no idea where I would put the staves that I would get, but I must try to save them.  And yesterday while working, I found a grove of straight grained hawthorn trees, many of which will be removed when we start our new project.  The first thought in my brain is  "I do not have any hawthorn.  Must cut some." After looking up hawthorn bows in the bow section last night, I found out that it is a beautiful wood that makes good bows.  I see cutting hawthorn in my future...

I know we refer to bowmaking as an "addiction", so I was just wondering if there are any other "wood hoarders" out there or is it just me?

Neal   
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline 4dog

Re: I was accused of being a wood hoarder...
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 02:53:29 pm »
we all are!!
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 02:53:42 pm »
Guilty  :-[     ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 03:16:49 pm »
Bring them to the wood hoarder convention....Tnn Classic. I'm certain someone (me) would take some of that hedge (Osage) since I have a place to put it... >:D
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 03:52:27 pm »
Acquiring bow wood is very addictive.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 03:57:33 pm »
Lol, of course you hoard materials.  In this day and age you never know when you're going to have to arm an army with bows and arrows. lol  >:D
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline TRACY

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 06:58:49 pm »
Get into flintknapping and you'll be a stick and stone hoarder like me :D

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Ink

• Jason Chollett
re
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 10:23:15 pm »
Guilty of being a wood hoarder. To the point that i made 4dog help me carry a decent sized log out of the woods cause pipeloing clearing company hacked it off and just left it there. Ya now winged elm is winged elm and deserves to make things fly.  ;D
Chew Motrin, drink water, drive on

Offline Patches

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 11:49:18 pm »
Nclonghunter - I wish I was coming to the classic! I have never been, but hopefully next year, I will get to go. And that way, any Osage I get will have been drying for a year and be that much closer to being ready to work.  :)

Primitivetim, yep I agree.

Tracy - I am wanting to learn to knap and already have been collecting  chert to start practicing with. So I have a good pile of stone going too!

Ink - We think a lot alike  :laugh:
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline bowsandroses

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 12:34:37 am »
Want my address I have space to dry your staves especially the hawthorn always wanted to try that, drying of course. ::) >:D After you get a twinkle for stone get a forge then you can horde steel to. Oh my we are a sick lot. :o  Hugh
My two cents worth of wisdom
One who seeks solitude will find their inner spirit.

A man who speaks to critters is a man with an audience who listens
                                              Hugh Ridenour

Offline Marks

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 11:04:40 am »
Is the compulsion that YOU have to have the wood? or just the wood doesn't need to go to waste? You could go thru your stash and keep the better staves and weed out the less desirable ones. Staves make great firewood and they are already split. You could also sell/trade/give a few to these poor beggars. Then again maybe its just time to build a new shed/barn/workshop with more storage >:D.

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 12:15:31 pm »
Gonna have to admit I'm a wood hoarder...I even save small scraps from my work...never know what you could make out of them and someone will just burn them if I don't take them  O:)

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 12:50:56 pm »
I don't think I would believe anybody on this site if they said they were NOT wood hoarders! Now me personally, I don't have a problem ....

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2014, 03:40:30 pm »
I would say my Materials Gathering Abilities are currently Out Pacing my Building Abilities...

But I hope one day to Catch Up.

:-)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Poggins

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2014, 01:07:08 am »
Yep same here , I even check around the bandsaw during OJAM to pick through the scraps , you never know one might find both halves of a takedown in the pile just have to beat the ones feeding the bi fire ring every evening , even picked up some bamboo fore tip overlays along with a few peaces left by the folks doing glue ups .
I even save some of the logs that won't make full length bows and some that may only have one stave in them ( covered up by a big truck tarp in the yard to stay dry ).