Author Topic: still no successful Bows  (Read 5152 times)

Offline CPLSeraphim

still no successful Bows
« on: April 05, 2014, 05:13:42 pm »
I had been trying to make semi matching bows for my father and I. Just starting out I used red oak boards at lowes. They are cheap and fairly easy to work with. Well, the first happened to be, say, mid build when my scraper caught a splinter and dug into the bow, cracking straight through. The second, the left handed fella I was making for my dad, did well all the way to on the tillering tree, and out for the shooting a few arrows through it. The arrows wouldn't stick in the tree at all. So I tried to look at the bow's weight. 28 ish pounds. when I pulled back with my... fishing scale... I pulled back once again to test... and the top half of my bow cracked. This wasn't bad, as I hear you aint making bows if your not breakiing em, but I am ready to start with my third attempt. Another red oak board bow. Hoping for the best of luck with this one. I am going to update with my progress, but this will take some time, but hopefully third times a charm.

Offline 4dog

Re: still no successful Bows
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 06:02:07 pm »
heard it said third time's a charm...having repeated it...all i can say is go sloooooooooow...and goos luck
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline matthijsc

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 06:05:22 pm »
Just keep trying!
I started this summer and have yet to make a successful one myself. Broke 4 bows so far:P but one day I will succeed...
Rotterdam, Netherlands

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 06:11:31 pm »
... mid build when my scraper caught a splinter and dug into the bow, cracking straight through.
Even a hatchet would take a huge amount of force to do this. What really happened?

Offline Weylin

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 06:15:22 pm »
Gotta agree with PatM. No way a scraper would come close to doing that kind of damage to a bow limb. We're happy to help but we need accurate info to do so.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 06:17:51 pm »
Went through 14 marginal log staves years ago. Boards are easier to  use provided you choose straight grained stock. There is a red oak buildalong on my site.

You can modify it to 1 3/8 in wide out to mid limb tapering to 1/2 inch nocks. The handle will bend.  No glued on pieces/ No narrowing of the handle.

It is a good first bow design.

http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/boardbowbuildalong.html

jawge

Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 06:18:55 pm »
If your tool digs in turn the work or yourself around.
Set Happens!

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 06:40:37 pm »
i think he caught a splinter and it made a big tearout, it's happened with fibery woods for me.
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline bow101

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 07:12:37 pm »
 ;)   Don't give up you'll get there.  Broke about 6 before I had one hold togeather.  This is a build-a-long for a board bow.  Maple is my choice but to each his own.  http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,35312.0.html
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 07:15:06 pm »
It should not happen with any wood. If it does do what I said. All a matter of grain direction.
Set Happens!

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 07:18:02 pm »
I would back red oak board bows. Cloth or something you have handy, no need to spend money on more expensive backing just starting out.

Patrick

Offline CPLSeraphim

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 07:54:25 pm »
I caught a splinter, on a corner and it dug in. I turned around and kept going, as soon as I put it on the tiller tree and it snapped. that the fuller story. and I have seen you site. that was my build along guide, George Tsoukalas.

I'm still going, and keeping it alive as I build.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 08:29:22 pm »
It's very important to round off all of the edges well .I use a rasp and then plumbers sand cloth to make everything smooth prior to tillering.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline CPLSeraphim

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2014, 09:47:30 pm »
Yeah, I am continuing on the red oak board til I get 2 bows out and shooting, then I will go to staves and make bows out of more interesting materials. Also, sidenote, I was backing with that cloth snakeskin from 3 rivers. Figured just starting, that would look nice. When the second bow snapped, the backing broke right there along with the bow. impressive, being cloth, and using tightbond 3.

Also, would you suggest working on these red oak board til getting decent seeing as how they are cheap, and easily available before moving to staves? I guarentee I am getting 2 good ones this year... eventually, because my dad is getting a bow license this year, and the 45# righty doesn't work well for his lefty-ness? 40-45# will work fine, so long as its the wrong way (lefty...lol) I am hoping to get some better results since the first 2 were progressively better, and my dads never shot a bow, so we need some practice this summer before season comes out.

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 11:24:37 pm »
I broke several boards in my more youthful years before I'd done any research on how to tiller. After I learned what tillering was I have used nothing but staves and my first three attempts in a row yielded working bows. A good stave lends itself to good learning.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.