Author Topic: Osage for a childs bow  (Read 1632 times)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Osage for a childs bow
« on: April 08, 2014, 03:48:03 pm »
Last week I was talking to one of our local deputy's when he stopped into the local bar. We started discussing self bows and he wanted to know if he brought me some osage if I would make a bow for his 3 year old son.

I told him I'd be more than happy to and would also make one for he and his wife if he wished. Well yesterday afternoon he shows up out to my place after spending some time with his wife's family last weekend over on the eastern part of the state where there is a good supply of the orange.

Need I say more! He's very interested so looks like I'll have a new student that is willing to bring plenty to the table.

My idea to get him started will be to trade some of his staves for tools. 24 so far and a couple belly splits not shown. Lots of work to do and my knees and back are telling me to slow down.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Osage for a childs bow
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 04:10:48 pm »
Ya gotta watch what ya ax for Fred.  ;)  Looks like some pretty good stuff from what I can see. Maybe even some of the cherished reddish stuff.   If you have some seasoned wood already you guys might start with the bow for the 3 year old. Wouldn't take much wood for that and Dad could get a good idea about proper tillering.
  I'd get that osage debarked, de sapwooded, reduced to stave form and well sealed ASAP so it can be drying...if I was 15 years younger!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 05:18:27 pm »
For 64 I feel pretty darn good but sure wouldn't want to have to split wood for a living.
Tomorrow's suppose to be 80 and then tone back to the 50's/60's remainder of the week. I'll get quite a bit accomplished before the weekend and treat the remainder with insecticide and move them into the quonset.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 05:22:16 pm »
Forgot to mention to you Pat that there's a lot of the reddish stuff. I took a belly split down to even out  the rings before sealing the back and the red streaks were beautiful

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 05:48:29 pm »
That's usually the sign of good bow wood. I know what you mean about being 64 or at least I will be at the end of July.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 08:32:46 pm »
Sneak peak at the young archers new osage bow. Backed w/ rawhide and quail feathers donated by Cipriano.