Author Topic: getting started knapping.  (Read 3181 times)

Offline carpenter374

getting started knapping.
« on: December 28, 2007, 05:57:09 pm »
Hey all. just a few questions about knappable stone. where all do you guys find good sources? here the only somewhat workables i have found are granite and limestone. but my first several attempts at working these have turned into frustration. granite doesn't flake well due to the grainy texture. limestone tends to break into a somewhat square ledge on one or more sides when i try to break off a flake. thanx.
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter

Offline richpierce

Re: getting started knapping.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 06:09:36 pm »
Where do you live?  if you do have limestone areas, look in creekbeds surrounded by eroded limestone ridges for flint.  When you find some, head upstream then uphill and you may find good flint that is not overly weathered.

Go to museums that have local Native American artifacts to learn what the color and sheen and texture of local flint is.  Ask around. Search google for "chert" and your area.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 09:07:28 pm »
Mostly Glass Buttes, OR during the Knapp Inn March 22 through April 1st. Bring warm clothing, shelter, water, food, toilet paper and all the essentials for survival! But it sure is alot of fun!!!  ;D

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 09:21:30 pm »
   You have some good knapping rock in Ok. You should have some Kay County out your way.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?