Author Topic: Lion Killer Spear  (Read 7951 times)

Offline Outbackbob48

Re: Lion Killer Spear
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2014, 01:56:39 pm »
Years ago there was an article in Outdoor Life mag. about a guy who killed I believe 32 big cats with a metal spear and dogs to bay up lion and then provoke attack. I remember he had a big T on his spears so they would not slide down and get him. Big leapers were easier than low chargers, put the butt on ground and let them impale them selfs on high leapers. Had a non American name, must had a real set though :o ;D ;D Bob

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2014, 08:34:58 pm »
Years ago there was an article in Outdoor Life mag. about a guy who killed I believe 32 big cats with a metal spear and dogs to bay up lion and then provoke attack. I remember he had a big T on his spears so they would not slide down and get him. Big leapers were easier than low chargers, put the butt on ground and let them impale them selfs on high leapers. Had a non American name, must had a real set though :o ;D ;D Bob

Chrome plated set!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2014, 11:42:33 pm »
One major aspect of early man (woman) was protecting the family or tribe from the creatures that hunted them.  And there were many that out weighed and had much bigger teeth and claws. Not usually to tasty except the bears.
No matter, man conquered them all before copper, iron or gun powder.
Today we spend billions reintroducing the survivor's of these creatures in our backyards.??
Our upper crust even gives them special protective consideration but simultaneously want to strip us of our rights to bear arms??? LOL
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2014, 12:56:16 pm »
These photo are pretty self explanitory but I'll give a quick run down.
Lots of rain. The river came up into the field during the night and the carp were already in it. I took some wild shots and fractured the tip, then resharpened for today's try. The water was already receeding yesterday afternoon so todays luck was better. Somewhat.  lol
Zuma
Oh yeah that is the broken bamboo. Snapped when lifting the carp and all the grass out of the ditch. Dern near lost em. Oh yeah it's two different carp. The bigger one was in the ditch.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 01:08:56 pm by Zuma »
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2014, 07:25:42 pm »
HAHA nice dude!
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline PatM

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2014, 10:27:39 pm »
 Probably this guy. Not lions but rather Jaguar. He claims  more than 30 though.
://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sasha_Siemel

Offline Zuma

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2014, 01:10:16 pm »
Thanks for the link Pat for the laugh Tim.
I rember reading about him in an Argosy mag when I was a kid.
I didn't realize that he lived and had the museum very close to where I grew up.
Next time I will try a shoulderless (rhyolite) point as the shoulders would not hold one of those carp on. Their ribs and bones are to far apart at that size. The barbs just get hung up on debris. The long shaft is a plus though.
Zuma

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2014, 06:26:05 am »
So is it carp sushi for din din ? You can have mine . The family carp recipe involves a oak board and a pile of horse crap. But I've ate worse I'm sure.
Bone
Venice Florida

Offline Zuma

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2014, 11:59:51 am »
LOL Yeah, throw the fish away and eat the board.
But my carp flavored corn, beans and squash will be real tasty the end of summer.
Well that is if the birds don't get the second planting too.
Zuma

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2014, 03:47:27 pm »
Zuma, I can see it now...... :o ::) :-[
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Zuma

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2014, 04:27:45 pm »
Well next time I won't take you along fly fishing.
You promised not to expose me in my loin cloth. >:D
Zuma