Author Topic: D style bow  (Read 7137 times)

Offline red56

D style bow
« on: April 10, 2014, 11:38:40 pm »
Hi everyone needs some help. I am going to try to attempt to make a plains Indian D style bow for my niece and nephew. I am making it out of a piece of osage orange lumber wood. And going to cut my design out using a band saw. However I have never done this before. I would like some help with the dimension that I need.  Both my niece and nephew have a draw length around 25 inches. Thank you for your help

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: D style bow
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 12:57:00 pm »
Cut them 54" long and 1 3/8" wide tip to tip. Once you get the sides cleaned up and the last 8-10" narrowed, you will be down to 1 1/4" wide or less, that's good. Keep the handle the same width as the bow. The thickness should start bending a bit at or around 5/8" thick, Id suggest a slight crown on the belly. The tips should be no wider than 1/2" when finished up. If you want to make the grip area more comfy? Glue some 1/4" thick cork about 4" long to the front and back. Then use a sanding block with 80 grit to transition the cork to the bow. Wrap it with leather and you'll have a slight bulbous grip that is comfy and can still bend with the handle.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 01:01:04 pm by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline red56

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 02:07:14 pm »
Thank you very much for the information that will help me out a lot.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 02:25:36 pm »
Pearlie meant to say..." Glue some 1/4" thick cork about 4" long to the back and belly".   ::)
Other than that everything he said was right on.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline red56

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 02:34:40 pm »
OH OK thank you. What tillering the bow

Offline matthijsc

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 07:50:25 am »
If you cant find cork (I had a hard time finding cork :P), you can also use rawhide.
Rotterdam, Netherlands

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 02:52:02 pm »
Rawhide will work but also shoe sole leather. Shoe leather is what I use.

built up with another piece of leather...

...and sealed with super glue...

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC