Author Topic: One-two-eight roost, opening day  (Read 9328 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

One-two-eight roost, opening day
« on: April 12, 2014, 09:14:07 pm »
I shot my first ever gobbler from this roost site quite a few years back.  Every shotgun I own has taken a bird from this site, with one exception: my new .62 cal smoothbore flintlock.  And I had a good chance to do that this morning, opening day for gun hunter's turkey season.

Last nite I put the birds to bed on the roost.  I saw at least 5 gobblers and a good dozen hens fly up well before sunset.  From where I sat in a thick tangle of blowdown ponderosa pines, I had a decent view and could slip in and out unseen.  I went to bed with visions of sugarplums exploding against a mature gobbler's bean!

I was up at 4:00 a.m., fed and walked the dog, put her back in her kennel, and headed out.  I had loaded the shotgun the night before, dug out the 3 segment cane yelper made by Jonathon Creason, and the box call I won at the Tennessee Classic Raffle last year.  I knew the yelper would work, it brought in my bird last year.  I had high hopes for the box call, and I knew since both had strong ties to this forum they also carried strong mojo.

I slipped in under cover of darkness and set up quite close to the roost site.  On previous scouting trips, I had determined which route they take and I was in their path.  Before long, the cool grey dawn was shattered by gobbles, double gobbles, yelps and freeform attempts at yelps by at least one ambitious but immature jake.  I was in, in deep, and in like Flynn!

I gave a few soft tree yelps with the cane yelper and had gobbles immediately answering.  Time to shut up, I had already established my bona fides as a hot hen and they knew where to find me. I closed my eyes and leaned back against the tree to await the sounds of fly-down.  There was a boss hen on the roost with a deep growling yelp, very distinctive. She was singing me a lullaby when I heard another hen behind me.  Resisting all urges to peek around the tree, I slowly lifted the box call and gave a couple soft tree yelps.  The birds in the roost ahead of me responded, but the bird behind me said, "They're hot!" and them proceeded to yelp madly. 

Risking a shot to the head, I leaned over and hollered, "TURKEY HUNTER!"  The two bozos clad from head to toe with the finest sporting goods store patented, copywritten 3D designer approved camo  continued to work that box call like they were going to play the entire William Tell Overture (Lone Ranger Theme) on it.  I hollered again at them, but they didn't make any response, they just kept beating the living tar out of the box call.

When the birds pitched out of the tree they headed downhill to a busy highway and crossed over without hesitation rather than deal with a hen that can't shut her freaking yap!  Not a single alarm putt from those birds, they were as calm and cool as a cucumber, they just didn't like the excessive trash talk. 

*sigh*  That would have been the 9th bird for me on that roost site.  But at least they didn't scare off too badly.  Overnight rain turning to snow shortly before dawn....and I am bailing out of my warm bed at 4:00 again, weather be damned.  Bad weather will shield me from those fairweather fools.  Tomorrow is my day.  Why?  Because I am a turkey hunter.  That's why.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline nclonghunter

Re: One-two-eight roost, opening day
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 10:48:20 pm »
Thanks for the story. Sorry you had some bad luck with the gizmo guys. I'm certain that was just a bump in the road.

What type of load are you using in your smooth bore?
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 11:48:54 pm »
70 grains of FFg DuPont, cushion wad over that, slice the top off a 12 gauge bismuth duck load of an ounce and an eighth #4's, dump that down the pipe, and a card wad over top. The pattern is not great, but at 20 yds it is more than tight enough to do the deal.

Just wish I could find more of those 1990's era bismuth shells.  I'm down to about half a dozen.  The other non-toxic shot is too hard for the barrel, especially since I am not shooting plastic (oh horrors!) wads. 

The snow is supposed to taper off about 4:00 a.m.  That will shut down most turkey hunters.  The rain and snow will soften the pine needles and sticks on the forest floor, silencing my steps.  I should be able to slip right under them tomorrow morning, mwahahahaha.  Yeah, right?

Offline chamookman

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 04:46:40 am »
Better luck today Jdub ! Our season doesn't start till the end of the Month. Yesterday afternoon it was in the high 50's and had T Storm front roar thru - high winds/heavy rain and hail. Looked out after the shear winds and there were Birds strutting in the pouring rain and wind. Love is in the air  :laugh:.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 10:59:38 am »
Better luck today Jdub ! Our season doesn't start till the end of the Month. Yesterday afternoon it was in the high 50's and had T Storm front roar thru - high winds/heavy rain and hail. Looked out after the shear winds and there were Birds strutting in the pouring rain and wind. Love is in the air  :laugh:.

I was about to leave home this morning when I got a call from a friend.  Last nite I had told him about the debacle earlier in the day.  He relates he had gone up and sat on that roost site last nite to scout for me.  He said exactly one bird had come in and roosted, one very large and mature gobbler.  He said the rest of the flock had set up across the hiway on private land, hen-gobblers-jakes-whathaveyou.

I drove out calculating my chances.  One solitary bird on the roost.  With last nite's rain and littlel skiff of snow, I knew I would be able to move silent as an owl fart and could get right under the roost.  I could take the bird right as he hit the ground  without any other birds being disturbed off the site.  Generally, shooting a bird right on the roost site will spook the birds off that site sometimes for years to come.  Not generally a wise choice.  Far as I can tell, if I took the one bird on that roost, none would live to tell the tale and the site would remain a viable roost. 

That meant I could take the shortest, albeit steepest, climb to position. This also takes me under several of the best roost trees, so I HAVE to be quiet to say the least. I arrived early, no other vehicles parked nearby! Woohoo!  I pulled the shotgun over my shoulder (chickened out and brought the modern 12 gauge), grabbed a padded cushion and started to glide up the hill.  Several new blowdowns from the October blizzard blocked the steep deer trail, so I had to make a few detours, but I was on the spot in minutes and had my back against a large ponderosa pine while it was still black as the inside of an abandoned coal mine. 

I settled in and checked the time, almost 50 minutes to sunrise, 20 minutes to legal shooting hours.  With the cloud ceiling blocking out all starlight and the moon, the blustery wind, and the rain turning to snow...it was a lead pipe cinch that the birds would not pitch down from their roosts this morning until much later than normal.  I made ready to spend a loooong time waiting.

The main flock across the hiway lit up about 10 minutes after legal shooting hours, which is 30 minutes before sunrise.  There had to be at least 8 gobblers across the road and untold numbers of hens.  My one and only, sad and lonely, solitary gobbler answered them with singles-doubles-and triple gobbles as the birds carped and moaned about the morning weather!  He was deep in the narrow draw and low down on his chosen roost tree.  Bad news for me, I had strong suspicions of his impending behavior. 

Thinking I did not want to over play my hand like the clowns did yesterday, I opted to do no more than a few low tree yelps and stay quiet.  Just let him think a hen sneaked in late, just a little something for him and him alone over here on the far side of the hiway from the rest of the flock.  He liked the sound of the river cane segmented yelper.  Soft yelps with the bell end of the yelper buried in my gloved hand to muffle the sound.  But he lit up like Handel's Messiah Hallelujiah Chorus every time he heard it. 

6:14 a.m., nearly a full half hour after legal shooting hours and I have given him no more than 4 sets of tree yelps.  I hear the sound of him "rouse", shaking his feathers to get everything arranged, and I know he is ready to pitch.  Get an idea how close I was to the roost....I could hear him rustle feathers!  He pitches out of the tree and it is over in a flash.  That's it, folks, that's the ballgame, thanks for coming, have a nice drive home. 

Yup, he flew across the road to join the rest of the flock.

So.  I gotta ask.  At the risk of him pinpointing me and busting the game up, should I have called more aggressively? Aggressive calling may have convinced him I was hot and ready, fre for the taking, his and his alone. 

By the way, in the three minutes it took me to hike back to the vehicle, the woods went from being full of gobbles and yelps to graveyard quiet.  These birds are henned up tight.  Talked with a couple guys that stayed out all day working site after site, only to have them tell me the only gobbling they heard was in the trees.  Once their feet hit dirt, their beaks were sealed tight.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 03:10:53 pm »
I have been part of that same play more times than I like to think about. Yesterday morning actually was pretty much the same. Less than 100 yards and gobbled at everything I offered. Flew down and away, going silent. Glad it's not easy or predictable or I wouldn't enjoy it as much. ::)

I have taken two birds with a Caywood Wilson 20 gauge Smoothbore flintlock. I found that packing a wad of tow over the shot did not break-up the pattern as bad. I suspect the heavy shot passes through the tow once it leaves the barrel unlike a card in front.  I also found the lighter the powder charge the better the pattern, but that was also a downfall of mine. I shot two birds within 20 yards and they ran off. What I found out was the pattern was great but no killing power. I put an empty Dinty Moore stew can at 20 yards and shot it, finding my shot would not penetrate one side. Up the powder charges until I got several two side pass throughs and many one side. The next two birds went down flopping. I also use a mix of 6 and 7 shot, since the range is short those shot sizes will be effective and make a denser pattern. Good Luck and I hope you keep after them with your BP gun.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 04:20:41 pm »
 I am getting two sides of penetration with the old baked bean can trick at 25 yds at this point.  The barrel has NO choke whatsoever, so I think I am doing good to be confident with the 20 yds.  There is plenty of barrel thickness at the muzzle that I could send the barrel off for jug choke job, just unsure if I wanna go thru that because there is really no guarantees.  I'm told it really does not change the barrel much for shooting patched roundballs, if done properly.  Key word, properly.

I am content to keep a 20 yd limit for the gun, all but one turkey I have shot in my life was beyond that mark, anyway.  What with bismuth being less dense than lead, I am loathe to go much smaller in shot size, even if I could find the factory shells to cannibalize.

I would ask what you think of the Caywood, but I know how they build their guns. No need to answer.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 10:02:42 pm »
You didn't hear it from me, but,,,, sometimes it pays to shoot/ scare the boss hen. ::) ;) 8)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline chamookman

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 04:37:46 am »
I would have played the game just as You did Jdub - That's why they call it Hunting. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 10:04:53 am »
Sounds like some exciting hunting JW! I'm sure you will stick with it and probably end up w/ a bird. If not, a dang good story anyway.

Have fun, cluck cluck...gobble gobble gobble, dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 11:00:27 am »
Thanks for the hunting stories, good luck on your next hunt and wanted to let you know Cabela's has the Bismuth shells. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 03:21:18 pm »
Thanks, Ed.  I will run over there this week and see what our local Cabelas carries.  They are good about ordering from other stores or the catalog for us.

Yeah, Chamook, it's called hunting.  It's a game of numbers, weighing choices based on experiences, and spending time in the field.  Never ceases to amaze me how many times I think I got a brass railroad lock on a bird only to be proven dead wrong.  There was this one bird we called Triphammer, because he gobbled on the roost like a triphammer...bang, bang, bang!  29 days out of a 45 day season I hunted that ONE bird.  I hope he suffered arthritis and kidney stones and all the other stuff that goes with old age, because he sure as h*** didn't ever die of lead poisoning! He about ruined me for turkey hunting!

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 04:39:10 pm »
Hey JW, sounds like you have a good load for turkeys. The Caywood I purchased was one of the early ones and I really like it. I heard later on that the quality went down and the barrel to stock fitting was not as good. I hate that, but mine was one of the good ones. Never had any problems with it.

Went out yesterday and had a big ole boss hen come in close and started barking at me like a dog. She was telling me to get over there and come with her and the gobbler. Only time I enjoy being scolded by a boss hen. The gobbler eventually let out one more gobble and she turned and joined him, leaving me behind.... :'(

That's determination on that Triphammer bird, sorry you didn't get him. Sometimes the memory and challenge of hunting one single bird, then not getting him is the best.....Yeah right!  >:D

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 06:13:19 pm »
I think the only thing more fun than getting a gobbler so hot he stutters when he gobbles, is getting a hen so mad she spits at you!  I've had only one good cuttin' fight with a hen in the last 5 years and it ended with 4 yr old boss gobbler getting brainpanned by a 16 yr old novice!  Both me and the kid were mighty satisfied with ourselves that day!

Offline Mike Joe

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2014, 02:50:52 am »
Great stories JW! Only turkey hunting can take me so low I will curse it and swear to never hunt them again, and the next minute I can't imagine not chasing longbeards. Good luck! I hope you get one!
"Son, we don't really care how it looks, We want it to work." - John McPherson