Author Topic: BBI EWB building program in China  (Read 17691 times)

Offline leehongyi

Re: BBI EWB building program in China
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 04:35:50 am »
Hello leehongyi

Nice work! I think you will be around 160-180# at the moment. :)

Kind regards
Andi

you mean i can pull 160-180# weight bow in sometime?

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2014, 09:12:37 am »
I think he means with your current dimensions, you are around 160 - 180 lbs?
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Heffalump

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2014, 11:09:55 am »
Hi Lee Hongyi,

a shame you were not posting your bow-building exploits a few weeks back when I was in China  :( I'll probably be visiting Shanghai/Beijing/Handan, again later this year in October/November. Depending where you are (I suspect possibly Hong Kong, as you give your family name as "Lee", rather than Li)? Anyway, it would be great to swap archery experiences and to shoot your English longbow with you in China would be just surreal!  ;D

Look forward to hearing from you when you get a minute and good luck with the bow making, looking great so far!

John

p.s. In the attached picture; that's me 2nd from the left, but more importantly the famous English bowyer, Del the Cat, 3rd from the left. Del posts a lot on here and you should Google and read his Bowyers Blog on the web - miles of useful information on there for the aspiring stick-bender! LoL

Semper Specto in Vitae Parte Clara

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2014, 11:24:20 am »
There are also some normal looking people in the UK ;)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline leehongyi

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2014, 10:56:57 pm »
Hi Lee Hongyi,

a shame you were not posting your bow-building exploits a few weeks back when I was in China  :( I'll probably be visiting Shanghai/Beijing/Handan, again later this year in October/November. Depending where you are (I suspect possibly Hong Kong, as you give your family name as "Lee", rather than Li)? Anyway, it would be great to swap archery experiences and to shoot your English longbow with you in China would be just surreal!  ;D

Look forward to hearing from you when you get a minute and good luck with the bow making, looking great so far!

John

p.s. In the attached picture; that's me 2nd from the left, but more importantly the famous English bowyer, Del the Cat, 3rd from the left. Del posts a lot on here and you should Google and read his Bowyers Blog on the web - miles of useful information on there for the aspiring stick-bender! LoL

Nice plan! i am a surgeon working in Nanning, the capital city of Guangxi province, the south part of china. i have a small studio. one of my friends Xiong who graduated from surrey uiniversity is a member of the archery club in this school. he told me something about the popularity of traditional longbow in UK that makes me interested. i also gave some speeches of chinese traditional archery in high schools in Nanning. whenever you determine to have a journey to nanning just tell me.

BTW, target bow is usually 5-10cm higher than user? 

Offline leehongyi

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2014, 10:59:28 pm »
There are also some normal looking people in the UK ;)
Del

Actually, i am 230 lbs now. maybe i am denser? haha. And welcome to China.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2014, 11:20:04 pm »

BTW, target bow is usually 5-10cm higher than user?

Target weight english longbows are usually around 30 - 70 lbs, and range from 70" - 78" from nock to nock. For higher weight bows, in weights that would of been used for war, 100 lbs and up, typically the bows are anywhere from 74" - 82" from nock to nock, the higher the draw weight usually the longer the bow, in order to more evenly distribute the added stressed of the higher weights.

Offline leehongyi

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2014, 11:41:07 pm »
Thank you so much!

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2014, 12:18:59 am »

Offline leehongyi

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2014, 02:52:52 pm »
nearly tiller. the diameter of the end is 15mm, should i continue to scratch? look at the left side grain of this bow. In chinese traditional wood appreciation, the grain of rosewood is called "fine golden buffalo bristles", and ipe has the similar dense and grain so it got another name "south american rosewood" in china. at the right part of bow we can see the cross section of bamboo fibers which is called "fish berry" to describe the crowned grain. once you see the section of 6-split bamboo fly rod you can understand.

Offline leehongyi

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2014, 03:07:46 pm »
the bamboo beads bracelet

Offline leehongyi

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2014, 08:17:43 am »
Well I think your english is very good. Not in any way poor at all. I think being multilingual is a very big achievement to being with, and your english is really excellent. And it doesn't take much ipe sometimes to make a heavy bow. It is very dense and hard, so it can take less material to make the same weight as other woods. I would need to convert the metric to inches to tell you if your dimensions are good, as I am used to inches and am not very good at converting the two, but I go around 1 1/8" inch wide at center, 13/16" to 7/8" inch thick at center, 1/2" inch tips, and around 75" nock to nock length. I leave it the same width about 8" or so in the center before tapering to 1/2" tips.

your thickness includes bamboo?

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2014, 08:55:46 am »
Well I think your english is very good. Not in any way poor at all. I think being multilingual is a very big achievement to being with, and your english is really excellent. And it doesn't take much ipe sometimes to make a heavy bow. It is very dense and hard, so it can take less material to make the same weight as other woods. I would need to convert the metric to inches to tell you if your dimensions are good, as I am used to inches and am not very good at converting the two, but I go around 1 1/8" inch wide at center, 13/16" to 7/8" inch thick at center, 1/2" inch tips, and around 75" nock to nock length. I leave it the same width about 8" or so in the center before tapering to 1/2" tips.

your thickness includes bamboo?

Yes, measured from the thinner part in between the nodes typically.

Offline leehongyi

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2014, 01:52:55 pm »
the upper nock, still needs to be smoothed.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2014, 02:15:43 pm »
Pretty cool! One thing I do suggest is, for next time, you might wanna try gluing the horn on the tips first, and then roughing them out and stuff. It's a lot easier that way. Pretty cool though!