Author Topic: Congratulations to Badly Bent and Blackhawk for sharing the March Self BOM win!!  (Read 7255 times)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Congratulations to Badly Bent and Blackhawk for sharing the March Self BOM win!!!!!

Badly Bent's Bow: http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,45532.msg

Here is what Badly Bent had to say about his bow:  Heres some pics of another buckthorn bow I finished last week from one of the staves gifted to me by Cody. Came in at 49# @ 25" and is 56"ntn . It's a fairly sweet shooting bow by my standards, no speed demon but respectable and
smooth drawing and soft in the hand. Pretty straight forward build, typical buckthorn characteristics, knots, cankers, dips, dives, whoop- de doos and twist all worked around with a heat gun and a prayer.   Put a couple hundred arrows or more though it the last couple days and its holding up real well. Did something a little different on the handle by building up just the middle 2" with cork to fill the palm, wrapped that in deerskin and trimmed 1" at each end with birch bark. Finish is eight coats tru oil over umber and black rubbed in earth pigments. Tips gently flipped, pin nock at top and diamond nock at bottom. I'm enjoying shooting this one. 
Thanks for looking, Greg

Here is what some forum members had to say about this great buckthorn bow:
nice one greg, as always it has your artistic look to it and a pleasure to look at, that cork is some great stuff aint it, bub
I love everything about it and with great tiller too.     Pat B
Greg you're making me jealous again. Sweet bow my friend.  Jon W
The tiller is as close to ideal as you can get.  Very nice Sir!  One day I expect to walk into some establishment, see a bow on the wall and know instantly, that's a Badly Bent bow!  (Uhmm, no pun intended).  Slimbob
The tiller is as close to ideal as you can get.  Very nice Sir!  One day I expect to walk into some establishment, see a bow on the wall and know instantly, that's a Badly Bent bow!  (Uhmm, no pun intended).  hrhodes

Blackhawk's Bow: http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,45865.0.html

Blackhawk had this to say about his bow:  I started this vine maple up at my good friend martys shop at this past years martyjam...I got the stave from steveb(thanks again Steve), and he got the stave from Carson I believe he said... its 64" ntn,56@27",20.4 ounces mass weight,with a hemp wrapped handle with a red string accent wrapped around the hemp...I heat shaped it over pearlys form and didn't really temper it at all...it lost very little of what I heated in(I love tension wood)...it is resting almost at 2 1/2" of reflex...what wood a vine maple be without some character as well...its got a series of reflex and deflex kinks in the upper limb...the bottom has a subtle one as well,and it is also a lil snakey...and both limbs have some prop twist as well....this bow is a sweet bow to shoot...can't feel or hear a thing,and is a hit where you look bow with authority...this ones staying in my collection...might even see me carrying it around at a shoot on a course its so good...I also gave it a nice red n dark two tone dye job....vine maple really pops beautifully with a dye on it...my pics don't do it justice...anyways...here she is n thanks for looking

Here is what some forum members had to say about Blackhawks bow:
Plenty of character to distract the bowyer from watching the tiller process...but you obviously were too dogged in determination to fall for that ruse. Plus your finish enhances the wood without hiding the grain or character, that's a real bonus in my opinion.  Looks like a shooter to be proud of, sir!  JW
I like everything about that bow. One of the nicest looking bows I've seen here or anywhere else. Excellent!!!  Fred Arnold
Sweet bow. I swear, every VM bow i see has a sick dye job on it!  Zion
very very cool, nicely done  chuck
Love the colors, character, bend and everything...    Don
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 11:28:37 pm by criveraville »
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Congrats on two fine bows gentlemen.  Both worthy of the win!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline burchett.donald

Congrats and hat's off to you guy's for a couple of excellent builds. Really enjoyed looking...
                                                                                             Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Those are some awesome, awesome bows guys! My hats off to the both of you!
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Danzn Bar

Couldn't of been a better tie for "self bow" of the month, truly two fine bowyers and guys, with distinctive design differences.
Great looking bows guys.
Congrats.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline DuBois

Love em both BB and BH.
Congratulations and keep em comin!

Offline IdahoMatt

Great bows.  Congrats to the both of you. 

Offline Rain_of_Arrows

Good job winning the bom!! Both very AWSOME!!!!!!! bows. ;D :D :)

Offline Rain_of_Arrows

Blackhawk's vine maple flatbow was my second vote, happy for you both.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
ttt (collages have been added above)  8)

Offline IdahoMatt

Great work on the pics Cip. Make the bows look great

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Great work on the pics Cip. Make the bows look great

Thank you, but I can not take credit for that. That is my northern brother Cameroo's handy work. 

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.