Author Topic: Deer from a tree?  (Read 21620 times)

Offline Wiley

Re: Deer from a tree?
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2014, 01:10:49 am »
My dad knows someone that tried to kill a deer by jumping off a tree stand onto one with a knife in his hand. I guess his plan was to cut its throat but somewhere between jumping on the deer and the deer getting away he nearly cut one of his fingers off.

With enough practice, I would rather chuck a spear at one from a tree than try to tackle one with a knife. I killed a deer from a tree with a rifle last season at less than 3 yards, close enough that I could have jumped and landed on it. The whole thing was part of why I am getting into traditional archery. One thing for sure is that a .30-30 at point blank range, quartering away and shot in such a way that the bullet went in behind the shoulder and exited at the lower jaw is a shot that didn't require any tracking. It's a little too easy to gun a deer down at such a close range, not even an uncommon occurrence for them to get that close. About half the deer i've taken have been within 20 yards.

I've also heard that you can find a well worn deer trail. Cover your scent as well as you can and dig a hole for yourself across the track. Lay down in the hole, cover yourself with brush, and wait with a large knife. When the deer steps over you, plunge the knife into it with the same orientation as the ribs, hopefully into enough vital organs that the deer goes down quickly.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2014, 06:06:34 am »
 :D :D :D :D :D ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2014, 02:28:58 pm »
That cowboy looks like he's wrestling a cow with a deer head.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Wiley

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2014, 08:44:35 pm »
That is one messed up looking animal the cowboy is wrestling. I've never seen a deercow.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2014, 02:43:29 pm »

Yep, good Ole photo shop, for the cow deer.  If I had no weapons, and had a deer feeding below me, while I was in a tree, and had a good limb to jump from, I would try to ease off the limb, and bend my knees, and then extend them, in a kick, to break the deers back.  Other than that, I don't know that I would care to be stomped by a deer. ;)

Wayne

Offline Marks

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2014, 03:51:39 pm »
This is what I would do.
 http://youtu.be/rUiPmHA7Xqg

This guy is legit. He is bad to the bone. Go to his YouTube page and check out his other stuff.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2014, 04:36:59 pm »
Doesn't everyone know not to jump out of trees with a knife?  Should have just tore into the throat with his teeth like every one else.

This is what I would do.

This guy is legit. He is bad to the bone. Go to his YouTube page and check out his other stuff.
That and catching the eagle are his most impressive catches in my opinion.  He's got his own show in Germany and was over here in the US with his American girlfriend for a little while.  I think they're doing some kind of show.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Marks

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2014, 05:10:11 pm »
I'd watch his show

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2014, 11:24:56 am »
This is what I would do.

Looks more fake than the photoshopped cow himo

Offline Marks

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2014, 03:11:13 pm »
This is what I would do.

Looks more fake than the photoshopped cow himo
Watch his other videos. He isn't fake.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2014, 06:19:22 am »
I'm a little worried I couldnt be able to express well what i think and offend someone as english is not my primary language.
In my opinion that video is a fake (like many of the others of that guy).
It's a reconstruction probably made in a very small fence and/or with domestic animal.
All i can see is highly improbable and is screaming "TV Show".

I'm not stating it's impossible to chase a deer barehands. I say that guy didnt for real. Just my opinion anyway.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2014, 10:36:16 am »
I'm with Glisglis on this one. Very entertaining. Not convinced however. I have my doubts that he can walk barefoot on the Deertrails and they will still come into see him. I'm also quite sure that he would've been shredded to pieces and have the snot kicked out of him by that deer had he tried to capture it barehanded.

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2014, 11:58:51 am »
There is a fellow I know from here who has made a living all over the country jumping out of helicopters on deer, elk, wolves, and antelope for the Federal Game and Fish.  They use nets to capture the animal for replanting, and putting collars for tracking purposes.  He has some very good stories, but is reluctant to tell about them.  I can give you his name if you email me!  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Zuma

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2014, 07:43:03 pm »
I tie one end of the lasso rope to the branch I am on.
No blood. Technically it's not snareing.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline bisonboy78

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2014, 12:34:30 am »
When I worked corrections I had an inmate brag to me that he hunted with just an apple and a knife. He told me that he'd stab the apple to get the juices flowing and then hang it from the tree he was hanging out in. He claimed that when the deer would look up to start eating the apple is when he would ponce on the back and plunge the knife in the side of the deer. He was just a drunk so he might be showboating but you never know.