Author Topic: Deer from a tree?  (Read 21551 times)

Offline blacktailcody

Deer from a tree?
« on: April 15, 2014, 02:12:39 pm »
So I have 2 questions.....the  first is if you were to jump out of a tree onto a deers back how would you go about the process of setting up the jump and how would you dispatch the deer? I want thoughts, ideas, warnings, I seriously have no idea how. The deer would be a doe during legal doe season
Mg second question is, is it even legal in Washington?

Thanks guys! I am not going to attempt it just wondering.

Offline Ed Brooks

Re: Deer from a tree?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 02:33:38 pm »
1st off make sure you have someone videoing this one. I want to watch it after...LOL
here is a link to a story about roping a deer you may want to read b4 jumping on one. I don't think you can do that here in WA...LOL
Good Luck in what ever you decide. Ed 
http://www.darwinawards.com/legends/legends2007-02.html
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 03:33:06 pm »
That story is funny Ed. I want to see the video. Make sure to strap the go pro on tight. dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 06:36:58 pm »
You be sure to video tape that one.  I don't care what the outcome is, or how short the video is, or about the production values.  I will PAY to see that one.

I, personally, have worked on a plan for catching an adult gobbler by the leg and dispatching by hand.  I have even gone so far as to talk with the regional supervisor of the South Dakota Game Fish & Parks law enforcement.  Now, Mike has known me a while and knows I am prone to saying things for a reaction...but eventually he realized I was serious about it and he pulled out the official law books to read the details.  For one thing, it is not expressly forbidden, nor does it use any weapons that are considered illegal.  And as such, I was advised if I was dumb enough to try.... >:D

Now, we just need someone to go noodling for alligator snapping turtles and we have a Trilogy Video that will make enough money to cover most of our collective medical bills!  Plus, we'll be so famous we'll never have to buy another drink in the bar again!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 04:16:40 pm »
Ralph Conrad told me he di it once with a knife. don't know the details.

Offline Shamusrobert

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 10:29:39 pm »
There was a kiwi guy who jumped out of a helicopter onto a striped marlin, you might find it on YouTube.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 10:09:24 am »
AAAaaaaaHaaaaaa! I knew I wasn't the only one that would get the urge to jump on the back of a large animal. I often thought Moose would be a good ride ;) Never thought of dispatching them in this fashion, however. Age has quelled most of those thoughts ,but the odd one sometimes creeps in. I think the deer would "jump the string" so to speak ,and leave you sitting on your arse(too fast and jittery). Do have a witness to the event , For good story telling ,and insurance purposes.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 03:31:40 pm »
Go for it, just be sure your loved ones know where you are so they can find you a day later.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 08:16:16 pm »
I'm pretty sure that's why  Neanderthals/ cavemen had messed up looking faces..after a few sessions of that they invented primitive weapons...Aka spears...lol
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 08:22:01 pm »
I feel like Tom Brown said he did that in his book when he was a teenager.  Just need a big enough knife to reach the vitals I would think

Offline comebackshane

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 11:54:49 pm »
yes Tom Brown did say that.  Since some of his other claims are questionable I've got my doubts about this one too.

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 12:46:25 am »
My old man used to tell me a story of a guy that broke both his arms doing that.   No kiddin.  :o  Good luck! 
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2014, 01:32:53 am »
Well buddy get ready to have the $h!t kicked out of yah, and I'm pretty sure it's illegal lol
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 09:06:14 am »
Funny story, Ed. I needed a good laugh on Mon. morning!! After reading that, not sure about the jumping on a deer's back thingy!! ???
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 11:22:49 am »
IF I WAS TO TRY IT.....I would put a tree stand directly above a pile of corn. Once a deer came into the corn pile and bent down to eat, that's when I would drop down onto its' back. I would have a short spear that would be used to drive down into its back. Wouldn't try to hang on.... ???  :o  :'(

JW, I actually went with a guy that used a golf club with the club removed. He would go along the creek bank poking the rod into holes until he felt a dull thump. He would then get down and reach into the hole and drag the snapping turtle out by its' tail...after he caught 3 good sized turtles he said it was my turn. Another thump and I was up for the grab. Told him I wouldn't do it, so he got down and felt around for a minute, then said it's okay go ahead. I had to then, so I reached into the black hole and felt its' back, sliding my hand down and located the tail. A quick grab and out came a snapping turtle.  I suppose that would be "turtle noodling". Never have tried it again, but it was exciting.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes