Author Topic: Sore finger  (Read 3599 times)

Don Case

Sore finger
« on: May 15, 2014, 06:48:55 pm »
I've developed an abrasion right beside my nail on my index finger on my right hand. I believe it is from the  nock reinforcing thread on my arrows. The sore itself is not a big deal but it makes me flinch when I release and I'm spraying arrows all over the target(and surrounding yard). Any way to solve this. I'm using a finger tab.
Don

Offline H Rhodes

Re: Sore finger
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 09:35:41 pm »
Try a shooting glove that covers that digit till it heals up some.  I have had things like that bother me in the past.  My arrow making skills is usually the cause of it.  Even a gorilla,  all thumbs arrow maker like myself has to slow down and smooth everything out perfectly so you don't have those problems.  Super glue and a sloppy thread wrap can make for sore fingers.   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 10:32:37 pm »
You could try changing up your grip?
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 11:40:03 pm »
I used to get a similar problem from the seam inside the fingers of my shooting glove. Now when I buy a new glove I turn it inside out and trim the excess leather from the seams.
 Try a deep hook for drawing instead of putting the string at the first joint.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 08:38:16 am »
I used to get this w/ a short bow I have. I started shooting three under and the finger pinch went away. Just an idea. I was opposed to it at the start, but ended up shooting that bow pretty good w/ just a little practice. dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline tallpine

• East Texas
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 03:52:46 pm »
You are probably torqueing the string, ( drawing hand not in line with string) I had the same problem. Switched to three under, problem solved also accuracy improved greatly.

Don Case

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 08:15:25 pm »
So if I change to 3 under I would have to make sure the nocks snap on to the string??

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 08:48:02 pm »
So if I change to 3 under I would have to make sure the nocks snap on to the string??
Yes, for the most part.  I would switch to a tertiary grip.  It takes a little bit of getting used to but there's a reason our ancestors used it.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 10:56:13 am »

No..not a true snap nock is necessary. Just need to have a nocking point or nock stop on your string and nock under the nock stop. I use both traditional brass nock stops or dental floss wrapped around the string. Once you find the sweet spot you can hit the floss w/ some super glue to keep it in place.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 04:13:55 pm »
Try leveling your draw elbow off Don. Sounds like maybe you have a case of elbow in the air disease, I suffer from it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.