Author Topic: Another World Record!  (Read 12870 times)

Offline adb

Re: Another World Record!
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2014, 07:57:46 pm »
Well I found it, far easier than I thought.

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v15536356yKc73mEf?h1=Ghosts+of+the+Mary+Rose

Skip forward to 16:39 minutes in.  And enjoy the EWBS shooting, drool over Steve's beautiful work of art, and check out the medical scan of Mark Stretton.

Brilliant video!!

Offline gianluca100

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2014, 03:23:46 pm »
@adb: thanks for this clarification about the linen strings. I'd be interested in how your strings are made and look, but I perfectly unterstand if you don't have the patience to show and tell your methods.

When I make a linen string I proceed pretty much like the way it's described in the TBB by Tim Baker:
First I break several samples of one strand to determine the strength. Then I calculate the bow weight times 5 and divide the figure by the breaking strenght of one strand. That gives the total amount of strands that I have to use.
Then by dividing the needed number of strands into subplies and by turning them togehter I make a small rope. In the end I splice a loop on each end of the string (I don't like the timber hitch).
It's absolutely clear that I use only the best linen I can find (barbours or so) and I wax the strands very well.

The only way to go thinner wqould be lower the safety factor. Let's say from 5 to 3. So a string for a 120 pounder would have the breaking strenght of 360 pounds only. How strong was your string?

ciao,
gian-luca

Offline Badger

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2014, 05:55:57 pm »
  If you can recomend a good brand of linen I don't mind paying the price. I have struggled with this for years now. I have problem with bow that have a lot of string tension at brace.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2014, 02:38:52 pm »
  If you can recomend a good brand of linen I don't mind paying the price. I have struggled with this for years now. I have problem with bow that have a lot of string tension at brace.

I buy my linen from pyro supplies, you should be able to google it.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2014, 08:33:42 pm »
Definitely impressive! And the the width of the bow too!
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Badger

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2014, 12:22:06 am »

I buy mine there also, my last two batches of 7 strand have a breaking strength of 21# average, 7 years ago I was getting 34# from the same twine, go figure??

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2014, 08:57:42 am »

I buy mine there also, my last two batches of 7 strand have a breaking strength of 21# average, 7 years ago I was getting 34# from the same twine, go figure??

Did you buy their "military spec" unbleached linen? I bought only their so called "holy grail of linen" 70# breaking strength stuff so far. I only need 6 strands for a 50lb bow. It's thicker stuff though.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2014, 09:00:14 pm »
I have a few rolls of pyro linen, their unbleached and waxed.  The quality is far below the Barbours I picked up on ebay a couple years ago
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2014, 11:02:04 pm »
I have a few rolls of pyro linen, their unbleached and waxed.  The quality is far below the Barbours I picked up on ebay a couple years ago

I'll check some of that barbours stuff out. I've been happy with the stuff from pyro's, but I never bought the waxed stuff, I bought the thickest 70# stuff. I take it Steve wasn't too happy with pyro's either.