Author Topic: Chainsaw blade scraper  (Read 1493 times)

Offline Bogaman

• steve white
Chainsaw blade scraper
« on: April 18, 2014, 01:55:18 pm »
I've used a lot of unorthodox tools since I've been making bows. When I first started all I had was an ax, drawknife and an old hunting knife I used as a scraper. Eventually I acquired all of the usual tools used by most bowyers.
About 15 years ago I had a man named Bill Reynolds in one of the bow classes. He is a farmer by trade. If you are familiar with farmers you know how inventive some of them can be. About 5 years ago I had Bill come and give me a hand with one of the classes I was doing. When he got to my place he said I want to show you my latest new tool, a chainsaw blade. As he was going after it I was thinking, what in the world is he up to. He then brought in a chainsaw blade, and said he used it for a scraper. He had both a 12" and an 18" blade.
After trying it out, I instantly became a fan of the chainsaw blade. It is great for peeling off the extra wood before you get close to the final tillering. I'm sure we are not the first to use them on bows.
I have been both a carpenter and a toolmaker most of my life and can appreciate a good tool when I find one.

Offline Bogaman

• steve white
Re: Chainsaw blade scraper
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 02:00:20 pm »
I've wrapped mine with duct tape;^) A person could make a set of handles to put on each end to make it easier on the hands, but this works for me. It is sharpened the way a normal scraper is sharpened.

Offline Bogaman

• steve white
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 02:04:17 pm »
I picked the two I have up at a place that works on and sells new chainsaws. Mine are used blades. Got both for 5 dollars, He said he was just going to throw them away.

Offline Blackcoyote

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 02:09:42 pm »
Never heard of them called blades...usually referred to as the bar of a chainsaw.
Drew - St. Johns, Michigan

Offline lukelawrence171

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 02:34:06 pm »
the best thing that has worked for me is hack saw blade it stays shap forever and is easy to handle and cheap ;D

Offline Bogaman

• steve white
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 02:36:36 pm »
Heard them referred to as blades and bars. Usually on a used one the edge  is rolled over already as the chain has done that over time. But you need to make sure it isn't an uneven lip, which could leave grooves in the wood.

Offline Bogaman

• steve white
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 02:39:31 pm »
Luke, I've used them also, when I can find them. The chainsaw blade/bar is also some tuff steel.