Author Topic: Attempted Grum-along FAILED!!!  (Read 7673 times)

mikekeswick

Re: Attempted Grum-along
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 03:28:20 am »
Elm is a great wood for steam bending - so you have a chance!  >:D

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 08:14:44 am »
Interesting project,looking for to seeing this one come along. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 08:30:57 am »
Interesting project and be tuned in as well.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 12:13:53 pm »
I hope that Elm doesn't do the twist, as Elm is prone to do

Good luck
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PatM

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2014, 12:43:01 pm »
I find if it's left in half log form it tends to just pull into  uniform reflex. I'll be quick drying this one so it probably will twist to some degree. Plenty of opportunity to torque it back into line when recurving and heat treating though.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2014, 12:52:11 pm »
Nice stick. Looks like it finally was cleared of over head sun blockage in its last growth year, it really thickened up nice.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline adb

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2014, 01:21:43 pm »
Ambitious.  Please continue.

+1  ;D ;D

Sorry, Pat... didn't mean to offend! JDub cracks me up sometimes.  O:)  Always stirrin' the pot!

A build like this is on my bucket list, so I look forward to following your progress.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2014, 04:57:44 pm »
I find if it's left in half log form it tends to just pull into  uniform reflex. I'll be quick drying this one so it probably will twist to some degree. Plenty of opportunity to torque it back into line when recurving and heat treating though.

Yes I have been leaving the Elm I cut kerfed but left in log form till nearly dry for many years now.  It's when they twist sideways that it's annoying.  You may want to consider reducing it to near bow dimensions then clamping it down to something strong and straight
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PatM

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2014, 05:10:28 pm »
I do notice that, particularly if you square up the sides of the stave immediately and leave it deep in profile. It's like it gives it another potential "back" surface to dry into what amounts to sideways reflex.
 I'll leave it in half form for a few days to see which way it wants to move.
 This piece is unusual in that it has the typical stringy fibers of elm but no interlocking grain. Don't see that very often at all.
 Not sure if it has something to do with cutting it in the right "phase of the moon" but the moisture content is not dripping wet as I would expect from a tree cut in Spring (sort of) and growing in a swamp.
 Also seems bit lighter in density which if coupled with high elasticity seems to make a nicer elm bow.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2014, 04:38:04 pm »
I do notice that, particularly if you square up the sides of the stave immediately and leave it deep in profile. It's like it gives it another potential "back" surface to dry into what amounts to sideways reflex.

Good point, hadn't thought of that, but it becomes pretty obvious when you take a moment to think about it.

I'm getting antsy to see the next stage, always thought those Grumley's were dead sexy and a very fine design.  If this one works out, I can foresee a lot of elm trees facing their demise across the country! 

Don't rush the wood, but on the other hand, don't keep us in suspenders for too long, Pat!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PatM

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2014, 01:25:00 am »
I can afford to rush things since I have several back up staves. No signs of twisting or warping so far. That usually happens almost immediately.
 I made billets out of the two other staves from the log and I'll be test bending the cut-off portions to see how this tree reacts to steam before I fully commit. I've only seen one elm that refused to bend. It usually bends like a noodle with steam or boiling.
 I figure I need to bend a solid inch  for this to work the way I want it to. A tall order.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2014, 01:27:25 am »
Yup, like I said, ambitious!  Good luck, and keep posting pics!

Offline PatM

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2014, 01:51:26 pm »
Revising that decision to do a one piece brush nock. It would actually require at least an inch and a quarter of wood to do that. I have been browsing pictures of solid Grumley's and can't find a single definitive image of one that has a single continuous piece of wood on the tips.
 I was pretty sure I saw one years ago but looking closer at other pics shows the same type of wood and a good glueline perhaps giving an illusion of a single piece. Especially when the patina of age blends everything together.
 Many others have a different type of wood altogether which makes the picture much clearer.

Offline PatM

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2014, 11:40:00 pm »
I squared up the stave and then peeled the bark which stripped off and left a thin layer of sticky cambium(sap wasn't fully up). A few minutes with a spoon cleaned that all off.
 Here's some pics of that:

Then I began shaping the limbs into that  sort of willow leaf profile with long fades and a very slight Mollie profile in the last 5 inches to make the bends easier. The limbs are extra wide at this point. The stave needs a few days to dry now since it  works well with a hatchet  but rasps poorly. It is like wet string right now and fuzzes up too easily.
 I did most of the work with a hatchet.

All done while my overseer yells "advice":
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 11:45:40 pm by PatM »

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2014, 09:18:23 pm »
I thought I was the only person in the world to work a bow with a spoon!  LOL!  Do you sharpen yours, too?