Author Topic: Sugar Maple Plains Indian Bow  (Read 20464 times)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Sugar Maple Plains Indian Bow
« on: April 17, 2014, 07:24:55 pm »
This bow is made for Jordan.  I hope she likes it as much as I do.  This is the second Sugar Maple bow I've made and I really like this wood a bunch.  It's light as a feather and deceptively strong and elastic.  It takes very little heat to bend it and it retains it's shape well.  I tempered the belly after bending the reflex in at 3 inches.  It retains 2 inches of reflex after lots of arrows shooting it in so I am well pleased with it.  Bit of an "S" shape to the stave but the string tracks nicely on it.  It sits at 35lbs at 23 inches which is heavy for her, but she wont draw it nearly that far yet.  Red wool trade cloth with brain tan binding on the handle wrap, red sinew wraps on the limbs dyed in Rit dye.  The horse hair is from two of the horses she and her family own.  Left a little of the cambium on for natural camo because it looked so cool on the last one.  Hope you like it and thanks for lookin'.

Sugar (Hard) Maple
35lbs at 23 inches
49" knock to knock
1 1/2 inches thru the middle third tapering to 3/4 inch at the knock.  Slightly narrowed handle.
High gloss spray poly finish

Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Re: Sugar Maple Plains Indian Bow
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 07:39:30 pm »
Very nice slimbob, simple but beautiful! I really like the pimple things that you did that have it it's character, especially the red sinew wraping! Didn't ever think about dying  the sinew but that gives me an idea!  ;)  nicely done, Patrick.
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 07:42:00 pm »
Really nice Bow!  I love the decorating you have done with it.

OneBow

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 08:39:01 pm »
She got a fine bow there, I like everything about that one Slim. Cool s-shape, nice profiles, good looking wood and the handle wrap and horse hair have a authentic style thats hard to beat. Your kicking out some great bows here Tex, keeping em' coming, real nice work. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 08:40:06 pm »
Very pretty! bows nice too! :laugh:
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 08:43:06 pm »
Now that was funny!

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 08:56:30 pm »
Seriously though slimebob, very pretty wife, who seems very happy with her sweet little bow. lucky guy!
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 09:04:36 pm »
Thanks man.  I'll pass it along and she'll appreciate that.  I should clarify that it's not hers (my wife Deb).  Jordan is the daughter of a friend of ours and this bow goes to her. Deb is just my model today.  A good one.
Thanks Patrick, Onebowonder and Greg.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 09:23:21 pm by SLIMBOB »

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 09:31:38 pm »
"style"..you forgot to put that word in your title..unless you are a indian..??  >:D
Political correctness is important ya know!
Tiller looks spot on.
E

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 09:49:29 pm »
I will take that under advisement IndianGuy.  Not enough Indian in my blood to claim it, but enough of an interest in the culture that I have studied it a bit, and then applied the knowledge gained into actually crafting, building and using items from that era.  I have a real appreciation for it, but very little for political correctness.  Thanks for the compliment!

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 10:04:03 pm »
Awesome bow Slimbob.  Nice attention to detail.  Maple has to be a very versatile bow wood.  You sure have got that little bow bending good.   I just came into some fine maple boards and I will be trying it for the first time soon.   We don't get a lot of good maple in Alabama, but I have a good trading partner lost in the snow up there somewhere. :D  You are putting out some fine bows these days. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 10:11:11 pm »
Very nice Slim. I sure am fond of those little plains bows. CC

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 10:11:25 pm »
Well actually....according to the Federal Native American arts and crafts act it is illegal for someone to advertise/sell something as Native American, Indian or tribal affiliated made unless the maker is a card carrying member of a federally recognized tribe. My verbiage may be a little off but that's the gist of it.
I realize this bow is a Gift for someone and not for sale but it is not fair for tribal people's who's cultural works ( beadwork,baskets,painting,bows..etc ) make up some or all of their income to have to compete with non Natives selling things as "Indian" or "Native American" when they are not. So in this case political correctness is actually important.
I support that cause and always will because it effects people like me who have made a living selling such things. People that know and respect that always include words such as "replica " or "style" when showing their works.   :)
Not an argument or debate just mho.
E
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 10:16:43 pm by IndianGuy »

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 11:03:27 pm »
Very nice bow Slimbob.  I bet she will love it.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 11:16:16 pm »
Well, I'm not selling the bow as you stated, so there's that we can dispense with.  But more importantly, I find the whole idea pretty silly.  Are you prohibited from making and or selling an English Longbow without first classifying it as an English "style" longbow?  Not because it was not built correctly, but only because someone with European ancestry took offense?  My interest in Plains Indian material culture though admittedly limited, is broader than that of some Native Americans, not because of my ancestry or lack there-of, but because I've taken an interest in it.  As have many other Americans, Europeans and Eastern Europeans specifically.  I don't claim to be Indian, nor do I have the name "Indian" in my PA handle which might indicate something different.  I don't wish to quarrel with you IndianGuy, but if someone wants to have an advantage over someone else in selling their "Indian Bows", just build a better bow.  Problem solved.

Thanks Howard, I appreciate that a bunch!
Thanks Curt
Thanks Clint.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 11:27:50 pm by SLIMBOB »