Author Topic: newbie ash tiller question  (Read 2027 times)

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
newbie ash tiller question
« on: April 18, 2014, 01:23:27 pm »
Hey guys
This is my first post on here but I have been enjoying these pages for a few months. Given the incredible craftsmanship displayed on here I would be reluctantly put a picture of my attempt at a bow. But I need help to progress my project and would really appreciate some input. The pictures show a short 58" ash bow made from a stave. I mean for it to be bend thru the handle and hope to sinew back it. I don't know the deadweight But it feels similar to a 40# bow I have.   One of my problems is that one limb is bending nicely an the other is stiff- however the stiff limb is already a good deal thicker Than the other and the limb that is bending has more natural deflex than the stiff one. These are the factors causing me concern on the tillering.
Since these photos we're taken i have removed more material from the fades and near the tips and heattreated it (which has lessened the amount of set) 
Your views would be gratefully recieved.
Thanks Siedd
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline sieddy

Re: newbie ash tiller question
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 01:27:19 pm »
Sorry I meant that the stiff limb is thinner than the bendy one!
Siedd
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline lukelawrence171

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 01:31:09 pm »
your right limb is very stiff the limb shape seems to be bending well but i think the main reason is that there is that reflex in the left limb and and you might have weakened it too much if you are at 40# right now i wouldn't take off much more but that right limb is way too stiff. and uneven reflex will make it hard this is a tough one

Offline lukelawrence171

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 01:32:14 pm »
oh and id start by taking some off of the fade of the right limb

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 02:07:03 pm »
hey man we all started somewhere.  Welcome to the fun.  Grats on the bow not breaking, which can be a feat in itself for a newcomer.  :)  Couple thought: it's very late in the process to be heat treating now.  I typically do that rather early after the limbs just start bending a few inches.  Unless you have a crazy oberabundance of sinew (feel free to send excess to me ;) ) I'd save the sinew for a future bow.

Clearly one limb im bending way more than the other.  You shoudl defintely check the widths and thickness form side to side as a guideline.  But a guideline is all they are.  if a limb requires to be thinner to get the correct tiller then make it thinner.  usually they come out pretty even bar any crazy knots and things.  Now you need to start check the distance from the stirng to the limbs.  At brace height you should find that the upper limb has a gap to the bow belly that is around 3/16 of an inch greater, so it's bending slightly more.  Your one limb is way over that.  As soon as you saw that you should have taken it out of brace and fixed the problem before bending it any more.  keep tabs on those distances every inch of draw and never rush past a problem.  You could mark a spot 1/2 way down then limb and use that as a reference or just run the tape measure across the limb and find hte biggest gap (string to bow belly). 

Also when you do draw and take a pic, it helps to hold something straight up the to bow tips in the pic and do the same visual comparison.  Ask if your limb bend looks evenish from limb to limb.  if nto correct it.  rinse and repeat.

Hope that helps!

« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 02:11:03 pm by PAHunter »
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline sieddy

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 02:40:15 pm »
Cheers for the feedback fellas I knew this forum was the place to come for help! In my heart I feel that I have already blown it with this one but I am gonna try to get a nice even arc in order to improve my chances with the next one!
Back to the woods methinks! :)

Offline Bogaman

• steve white
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 02:53:42 pm »
Seiddy, you are probably going to have to consider this one a learning experience. But they all are actually. Right side from fade out at least 12" needs more off of belly to let that limb bend more. Don't take any more off of the left limb until you work on the right side. It's going to end up under 40lb. It is either my old eyeballs or possibly shadows in the picture, but it looks to me like the thickness taper is uneven on both limbs.

Offline sieddy

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 03:46:47 pm »
I persevered with my ash stick and it ended up coming out alright! It draws and shoots nicely (tho a little light). It's unbacked and maybe I should be worried as it's a short narrow ash bow. But it feels pretty sound and flexible. Anyway it's my first successful bow and I'm stoked! :)

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 04:07:38 pm »
congrat's, lets see some pics, remember we all started at the same level and it seems like you have the right attitude
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 05:20:09 pm »
I remember the first bow I flew solo on.  Put it on the tiller stick and was shocked.  It was terrible, way off, unsalvageable.  The first one was so easy with the help I had and the next few were really tough.  How in the world do you get a limb to bend correctly, what is correctly and then try and get the other to match it if I pull off a miracle.  Study it, make shavings and study it some more.  Then make more shavings.  Welcome, and just have fun with it.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.