Author Topic: Natives arrows?  (Read 6358 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Natives arrows?
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2014, 09:42:06 am »
I think the word "reed" is a generic term for reed grass and cane.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2014, 05:37:22 pm »
Anybody know what was used in Central and south Florida? I've only seen river cane growing in north Florida. You very seldom see Dogwood shoots, in the deep oak hammocks you can find hickory shoots sometime.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2014, 09:18:30 pm »
I figure in south Florida they just used fishing poles and clubbed gators... >:D
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2014, 09:35:25 pm »
Eddie, I was joking of course but it got me to wondering. Does anyone find native points in south Florida? I do not think I have ever seen one, nor heard of any being found.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2014, 01:22:33 pm »
Mullet, good question, I'm going to be down there in a few weeks and I'm curious too. I wonder if the Thompsons make mention of arrow wood in their book?
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2014, 01:35:38 pm »
The Thompsons do, they describe in detail making thousands of cane arrows while living in Georgia before their hunting trip on the St. Johns River. The St. Johns flows north out of Jaxsonville which might as well be Ga. There is cane up there, as well as on the upper Suwannee.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline stickbender

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2014, 02:51:16 pm »
Eddie, I was joking of course but it got me to wondering. Does anyone find native points in south Florida? I do not think I have ever seen one, nor heard of any being found.

Lots of native points here in Florida. ;)  Just ask Mullet. :)  I also believe that they command the highest collector prices. ;)
                                                                                Wayne

Offline Parnell

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2014, 02:59:05 pm »
I'd bet they made hardwood shafts from shrub stuff.  Myrsine makes a good shaft...stuff like beautyberry, sparkleberry?  I don't know of any clear examples of Calusa archery artifacts but they killed Desoto with an arrow.  I often wonder what they used and why there aren't some examples of stone heads.  They would have made it up to coral territory. 

I was talking to a guy that said he found a stone point in the 10,000 Islands.  I'm highly skeptical.  Anything is possible, though...

It is a mystery to me!
1’—>1’

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2014, 03:06:19 pm »
Stone heads were ineffective on the chain mail the Spaniards wore but a naked cane shaft would divide into multiple slinters as it went through the mail. Pretty devistating
 Sparkleberry and yaupon(both hollies) make good arrows and both are indigenous to Florida.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2014, 03:20:49 pm »
The Calusas didn't kill De Soto. He was killed in Ga. or Mississippee from infection from a cane arrow that splintered on his chain mail. His soldiers dumped him in the Mississippee River as they escaped to Mexico.

nclonghunter, yes there are arrow points and atlatl points in Florida. Some of the best examples including one my friend has called "Big Red", transluscent, red, coral is appraised at 20 to 30 thousand right now. I  found one in the Peace river a few years ago that is in a book called the Best Of The South listed for $2400.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Parnell

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2014, 11:44:52 am »
The Calusas didn't kill De Soto. He was killed in Ga. or Mississippee from infection from a cane arrow that splintered on his chain mail. His soldiers dumped him in the Mississippee River as they escaped to Mexico.

nclonghunter, yes there are arrow points and atlatl points in Florida. Some of the best examples including one my friend has called "Big Red", transluscent, red, coral is appraised at 20 to 30 thousand right now. I  found one in the Peace river a few years ago that is in a book called the Best Of The South listed for $2400.

Your right Eddie, Ponce De Leon was supposedly got hit...is that who I'm thinking of?
1’—>1’

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2014, 02:27:30 pm »
It was Ponce de Leon. He was hit in the thigh with a Caloosa arrow  dipped in sap from the manchineel tree in 1521. He became very sick and died shortly after that in Cuba.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline rockrush69

• i want to live in a tipi and hunt for my food
    • facebook.com/flingahbows
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2014, 11:57:01 pm »
I live in SW Florida in Fort Myers and I have found at least 3 totally different species of river cane in my city
JESSE "HALF CHEROKEE" RUSH
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline rockrush69

• i want to live in a tipi and hunt for my food
    • facebook.com/flingahbows
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2014, 12:11:01 am »
also I would just like to add that I am NOT trying to sound like a know it all but I grew up on Pine Island at the foot of a ceremonial  Calusa Indian Hill while living there for the majority of my life I learned a lot about this tribe I recently built a black man Grove bo backed with cow leg tendon they did not find any bow but they did find Atlatl s and one arrow was found made from red mangrove with a bull shark tooth  as an arrow head . There is a lot of river cane growing wild around here the stuff in the water (edges of ditches) is weak be selective find the strong patches on dry land.  Cape coral has a nice few patches I have found I recently made a few Cherokee four holed flutes from some of my cane . I have a ton of cane if u want some . Also I recommend buying the native arrows and points DVD from thad beckum at WWW.beckumoutdoors.com I have learned soooooo much from this 19$ two hours of awsomeness the guy is totally primitive and is very in debt. I hope I was help full. ( also look up beckum out doors on YouTube)       
JESSE "HALF CHEROKEE" RUSH
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2014, 08:57:41 am »
Is it River cane or bamboo? Different varieties of bamboo grows all over South Florida and it is not native.
Lakeland, Florida