Author Topic: Ressurection of an old tub  (Read 6286 times)

Offline KHalverson

Re: Ressurection of an old tub
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2014, 10:14:21 pm »
Nice little rig, Pearlie. Those little 9.9/15hp Evenrude/Johnsons are great little outboards. I had the 15hp of a 11' Whaler when we lived in Bluffton, SC.  The only difference in the 9.9 and 15 is either different jetting in the carb or exhaust tuning. 

Wish I knew what it took Pat. Id do it. The 9.9 zips pretty good, but a 15 would skip across the pond.

pearly
nice boat!
my cousin has  my gramps ol monkey wards fiberglass boat n 8 hp Chrysler.
I  coulda had it but decided he need it more than I did.
I know that the carb is different on the 9.9 vs the 15 n if I recollect right they shaved the head a touch to up compression.
now do your ol gramps proud n put a mess of fish in that sucker.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2014, 04:29:00 am »
Way cool Chris ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2014, 05:59:03 am »
Nice boat Chris,looks like you done a fine job on it. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline TRACY

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2014, 06:55:47 am »
Nice little rig to get the job done. Looks clean!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2014, 08:46:27 am »
She looks mighty clean, now, Chris. Any before pics?
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2014, 08:58:36 am »
Its a pretty simple change, Pearlie. Call your local Evenrude dealer, they can tell you. I was a Johnson/Evenrude mechanic in Bluffton but I don't remember(25 years ago) exactly what the change is. You don't have to shave the head for it. It is either re-jetting the carb or tuning the exhaust. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2014, 09:36:07 am »
Kenny I don't have any before pics, but I can tell you it was almost black colored. One of my cousins left it under water half way for a month. Plus, 25 years of no baths caught up. Zing REALLY works, amazing stuff

Pat I have a marine mechanic around the corner from my place, Ill ask him. The guy is a walking/talking outboard!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2014, 09:53:01 am »
The 15 I had started out as a 9.9. I obtained the outboard as used parts and built it. The block was a rebuild and I think I just got a 15hp carb for it but I don't remember. I kept the 9.9 cowling on the motor because some lakes limited hp to 10hp.  I also ran this 9.9(  ::) ) of my 13' Ghee-Noe, a square stern almost canoe with a flatter bottom. That little boat would scoot for sure.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline silverfox

• Ohio Subscription #108669
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2014, 01:06:46 am »
Cool PD! I just got me a Water Quest 11.3 w/ trailer for $300. Can't wait to take it to the carp flats this spring. dp

I have had lots of boats, big ones, little ones, slow ones and fast ones, you will LOVE that boat. I don't think they can be beat for small to mid sized lakes. I also had a 10.2 when my nieces were really small. It didn't have the raised front casting platform, so no chance of them falling out. Both are very stable in the water and will float in a mud puddle. I have only heard one  problem/complaint about them. If you leave them outside all the time, that the sun will break the plastic down over time. I kept mine in the barn, so I don't know if that is true or not.
New to all of this primitive stuff. Just taking it all in, and learning every time I come here.

Subscription # 108669

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2014, 09:01:30 am »
Very cool, Drums.  Funny how that works.  I've owned many boats also in my day.  Up to a 33-foot Chris Craft with twin 327's.  My favorite is the one that I still own.  A 12' aluminum boat very similar to yours.  Can't beat the hours of fun at the teeny fraction of cost to operate.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Blackcoyote

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2014, 09:14:53 am »
I got a feeling ya made Granpa smile CK....looks like new! You can bet even if your solo you won't be fishing alone!  :D
Drew - St. Johns, Michigan

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2014, 04:30:23 pm »
When you folks gona learn you don't buy and sell fishing boats you just pic a different yard to park them in for a spell !
Gone fishing
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2014, 06:34:37 pm »
Cool deal PD .... good fishing ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline okie64

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2014, 06:51:57 pm »
Nice cleanup PD! Sorry to hear about your grandpa but you did him proud. Lots of memories with my grandpa on the river in his little 14' flatbottom.