Author Topic: Hackberry and White birch bark for my wife  (Read 7411 times)

Offline Blackcoyote

Hackberry and White birch bark for my wife
« on: April 22, 2014, 10:16:10 am »
Finally finished up my 3rd bow...

Stave was a nice piece of hackberry I got in trade from Paul Semp at Marshall.  After Marshall my wife said I HAD to build her a bow for the next shoot at Marshall. It's been an interesting journey since she's a recurve shooter and we had different visions for this bow...yup, she won out!  :o

The specs: 60" ntn, #28 @ 24" stave had some natural deflex so I left it for some string follow. . As for the birch bark, I was thinking the thin outer layers on a dark stained bow...the wife wanted the inner bark and the bow left natural, so it pretty much glows in the dark!  Good thing she only hunts rabbits! Tips ended up just a under 1/2", 8 coats of spar urethane later, cork shelf, elk hide handle, and seal fur rest.

Thanks to Pearl drums, Paulsemp, DGF, Badly bent...for all the help, encouragement, and "inspiration" to keep me moving.

Drew - St. Johns, Michigan

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Hackberry and White birch bark for my wife
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 10:20:26 am »
Momma has better form than you Drew! Just look at that draw elbow and anchor. Hell, Im jealous.

The bow turned out sweet, seeing that bark in person stirred my fire. I think I need to harvest some and add it to a upcoming build. Great work man.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 10:23:52 am »
Looks like a shooter.  Nice work Sir.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Blackcoyote

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 10:25:33 am »
Yuppers she's a natural minus the floating anchor...but we've been working on that!

No need to harvest any, I've got some strips cut already for ya...I'll drop them off next visit! 

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 10:27:16 am »
Nice one drewster!!!  ;)

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 11:41:10 am »
In the immortal words of Sir Elmer of the Fudd  - - - "Doze Wabbits better wun fast..."

I really like the white bark with unstained wood.  Pretty cool work...

OneBow

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 11:41:37 am »
Oh man, I really like the look of this one!  Any particular kind of cork or will any champaign type cork work? Did you just kinda tap it into there after putting on the leather handle or glue it before wrapping the handle?  I'd like to try a handle like that.  If you have any details or links please share!  thanks and great job!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 11:47:16 am »
Very nice look to that bark.
Lady shootin' a bow :), what's not to like (unless you're the wabbit she's fixin' on :o)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 11:57:41 am »
I really like the BB backing. I think I gotta try that soon. Nice bow, and it's great to see the ladies showin' us the way!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 12:12:06 pm »
Nice one, Love the bark backing,really cool looking. She looks like she knows how to handle it also. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 01:00:24 pm »
Got to love that bark backing!

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 01:09:38 pm »
I've thought about the birch bark but afraid it would crack after repeated bending. Will this present itself after 1000 shots or so?  Being a lighter weight the stress is not to much. What about a heavier bow with a 28" to 30" draw?
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!

Offline Blackcoyote

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 01:34:34 pm »
Thanks guys - Slimbob, Blackhawk, Onebow, Del, Adb, paoliguy and Pappy!

« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 01:54:45 pm by Blackcoyote »

Offline Blackcoyote

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 01:38:26 pm »
Oh man, I really like the look of this one!  Any particular kind of cork or will any champaign type cork work? Did you just kinda tap it into there after putting on the leather handle or glue it before wrapping the handle?  I'd like to try a handle like that.  If you have any details or links please share!  thanks and great job!

PAHunter - thanks
it was just some cork board I had laying around - I built it up to the thickness I wanted, shaped with sandpaper, then glued it on the handle....then I wrapped the handle.

Offline Blackcoyote

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 01:46:04 pm »
I've thought about the birch bark but afraid it would crack after repeated bending. Will this present itself after 1000 shots or so?  Being a lighter weight the stress is not to much. What about a heavier bow with a 28" to 30" draw?

Dan, I'm not sure, I know others have used with shorter/heavier bows with normal draw lengths...it's not thick at all, I peeled the outer layers down after I cut the strips, then once the glue was dry I peeled down several more layers, then went over it with steel wool.

Being that I haven't made many bows and this was for my wife - I've shot a lot of arrows through to make sure everything was fine before giving it to her, and there are no cracks so it appears to be holding up very well.