Author Topic: Started a shelter recently. Design ideas?  (Read 3157 times)

Offline Ross.m.

Started a shelter recently. Design ideas?
« on: April 22, 2014, 01:46:30 pm »

Here is the beginning of it. We found three trees in almost a perfect triangle and just started stacking sticks. I made a few sharpened sticks to act as steaks that keep the sticks from falling on the opposite side.
I plan on making it about a foot higher so that I can comfortably crawl and sit. To insulate the walls and roof, I was planning on a debris hut method, by piling on leaves, sticks and such.

If you have any suggestions they would be appreciated!

(EDIT) roof finished! Now I just need to insulate the walls and build a door and stove.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 09:56:34 am by Ross.m. »

Offline Silver John

Re: Started a shelter recently. Design ideas?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 02:53:30 pm »
Great start.  When you finish with the walls, right at the top of the walls tie your outside stakes together across the shelter at sealing level. Include the trees in this ceiling lattice.  It will keep the walls from slumping when the stakes try to spread at the top.  The lattice will also let you know where the ceiling is before building the ceiling structure.  I also would not depend on the walls to support the  ceiling. I suggest lashing a strong log between the trees at the top of the walls. These final three logs will form a triangle and act as beams to support the ceiling, insulation and roof (water shedding layer).  Building the shelter with non-load bearing walls will allow you to make repairs to the walls with out the roof caving in.  I hope this information is helpful.  Have fun.

Offline Ross.m.

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 04:28:59 pm »
Thanks john! What would you suggest using to tie? Just regular para cord?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 12:02:07 am »

Look up "Wattle and Dab"  You tube should have a lot of stuff on it also. It is a stick lattice work, with clay, or mud as plaster.  Quite effective, and has been used for thousands of years. ;)

Wayne

Offline Wiley

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 11:36:54 pm »
Usually used on more long term shelters but cob is about like wattle and dab on steroids. It's a mixture of clay, straw, and sand. Mixing grasses and sand in with the clay makes it hold together a lot better. People build homes with it usually very thick walls that may or may not be load bearing. Helps to have it on a stem wall with a good overhanging roof to keep the rain from washing it away. Would be good material for filling the gaps in the walls if you want something more durable than simply clay or mud. A good overhanging roof and a stem wall of rocks about a foot high would increase it's durability many times over. There are thatch roofed buildings in europe built in this manner that have been around for more than 500 years.

You could even make yourself a little fireplace in it with cob. Look up the ratios used for making wood fired pizza ovens out of it. Some cob and rocks built into a little hearth and chimney. The more mass you put into it the better. Fire warms the cob and rocks, radiates warmth long after the fire is gone. Might be a little overkill for this project, but it's a neat material to know how to work with in the sense of long term survival. It can make anything from a pizza oven to a home, and most of the materials for it are probably already available to you near the site.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 11:48:55 pm by Wiley »

Offline Silver John

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 11:15:55 am »
The type of cordage you use will depend on what you want the life of the shelter to be.   Para cord will work to tie the tops of the stakes together.
For the lashings I would suggest 3/8 or 1/2 inch rope that will not stretch significantly.  If the shelter is planned to be used for just one season or two use bailing twine  for the lashings.  It is cheap and is biodegradable.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 05:36:19 pm »
If you build your roof with saplings (cedar) you could try a
sod roof if you can cut it out of the farmers field with out getting caught.
 lol  Watch out for the pies. Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.