Author Topic: 50" static osage progress pics  (Read 2834 times)

Offline danny f

50" static osage progress pics
« on: April 23, 2014, 11:51:17 am »
hi all just thought i would post some pics of a 50" osage static recurve i am building. i have put about 7 whitetail back straps sinews on it 2 week ago i have reverse braced it to gain some reflex, i had it drawing to 20" before sinew. i am gona put another good layer of leg sinew on it too. it is just over an inch wide and tapers to half inch knocks, how much reflex would be to much for this bow with having statics? i dont wana ruin it as its the only osage im likely to get hold of. heres some pics cheers.

Offline Blaflair2

Re: 50" static osage progress pics
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 11:58:24 am »
Sweet man, where do u live?
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline danny f

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 12:21:19 pm »
thanks im in the uk. so no osage grows here so this is abit special lol.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 12:41:41 pm »
Well if I cut this osage and maybe a few of u UK fellers can chip in together to cover shipper u can have some

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 12:48:24 pm »
english yew for american osage?!?! :laugh:
we are going to have a lot of cutting to do soon dude!

really like the bow by the way, sweet little recurve
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 12:54:28 pm »
Sweet start Danny. Looks a lot like the first osage static I ever made, except I didn't back it with sinew.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline danny f

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 01:30:36 pm »
i would defo be up for some osage if theres any going to come over the pond, ;D cheers chris i cant wait to shoot it but got a while to wait yet :( gona put the rest of the sinew on tonight when the missus goes out(dont tell her im using her kitchen)  >:D

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 01:42:35 pm »
Nice danny!  Yeah I got nabbed in the kitchen just last week.  Anxious to see this one all finished up.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline HDF

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 03:25:45 pm »
Really nice looking bow! Where did you get the osage and all the sinew over here in England?

Offline danny f

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 05:25:11 pm »
cheers for the comments just put the last of the sinew on now all cleaned up and the missus aint even back yet :). i got the osage and sinew from someone over on bushcraft uk forum. dwardo on here got one stave which hes posted the bow on here somewhere. he did a great job. i got this small stave which was all he had left. i would love to get some more one day its nice stuff.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 06:03:13 pm »
Well I'd I cut these trees maybe I'll put something up for the uk guys to pitch in shipping if it could work out. I'll have enough

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 06:25:26 pm »
Good start on a nice looking bow.  As far as your question on reflex, I've never made a 50" bow, shortest one for me was a 60"er I just finished.  I started with about 3" reflex on that one.

Again nice looking bend....
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline danny f

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 06:41:49 pm »
blafair that would be great. im sure there would be people interested. dbar with the reflex on a static do i measure from a flat surface to the nock? the recurves are about 3" and then the reverse string has raised it another inch or so so does this bow have 4" of reflex?  could i go further or should i  just leave it to cure naturally and see where it ends up?  sorry for all the questions i have no experience with sinew, reflex and how much i can get away with without wrecking a bow

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2014, 06:57:34 pm »
I may be wrong, but reflex is the distant the end of the bending portion of the limb is behind the handle.
After looking at the photo, it was more like a little more than 2" not 3"
Here is the reflex I started with.........next time I'll add a little more.

Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline danny f

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 07:10:38 pm »
ok thanks for that. i just assumed it was from a flat surface to the highest point which would be the nock.