Author Topic: Did american indian nation have sinew-wood-horn bows?  (Read 2555 times)

Offline leehongyi

Did american indian nation have sinew-wood-horn bows?
« on: April 24, 2014, 01:20:30 am »
Somebody and i discuss the exist of the tri-lam construction horn bow in indian history. i told him ED scott replicas indian bows of both sinewed wood bows and sinewed wood hornbow. but he said that is only scott's personal preference and scott used some modern technic so it can't be cited as the evident of the exist of a tri lam horn bow as asian types on indian. can anyone help us?

Offline PatM

Re: Did american indian nation have sinew-wood-horn bows?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 01:25:32 am »
Most evidence seems to point to NA tribes only making bows without the wood core.

Offline Wiley

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 01:41:51 am »
What about inuit cable backed bows? I know it's not a sinew-wood-horn bow in the way i'm sure you are imagining it. But it is essentially a bow made from sinew, wood, and possibly horn.

They probably would have attached the sinew to the bow in a way similar to a normal sinew-horn bow if hide glue wasn't so hard to work with in the arctic.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 01:45:52 am by Wiley »

Offline Josh B

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 04:04:45 am »
What about inuit cable backed bows? I know it's not a sinew-wood-horn bow in the way i'm sure you are imagining it. But it is essentially a bow made from sinew, wood, and possibly horn.

They probably would have attached the sinew to the bow in a way similar to a normal sinew-horn bow if hide glue wasn't so hard to work with in the arctic.

So....how would they have stuck the horn to the core?  ???  Josh

mikekeswick

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 04:05:30 am »
No just sinew and horn.

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 03:17:40 pm »
There are several descriptions of Indians using a wood core with buffalo horn pieces glued to the belly and sinew layer over the back. I can not remember the book that describes it but it was by a early mountain man who documented it. Also I think a guy by the name of Russell describes something similar as well. To just flat out say No is pretty close minded. That being said there are no know examples of a combination like that in any museum that I'm aware of. However having made around twenty bows of that design they are very efficient and I cannot see why they would not have tried it.
From what I understand Ed Scott uses tight bond wood glue and epoxy on his horn bows not traditional hide glue.
E