Author Topic: How to deal with knots  (Read 2405 times)

Offline benjamin.m.winchester

How to deal with knots
« on: April 24, 2014, 09:54:36 am »
I am working on my first self bow using Osage.  When I ordered the stave I underestimated the size of a knot in the middle of the upper limb.  The knot went from belly to back.  While working on roughing out the bow, the knot came completely out, leaving a hole through the entire limb.  There is still plenty of wood all around the hole, but the hole is a little smaller than the diameter of a dime (so pretty big.)

How do I deal with this?  Please dont tell me I have to scrap the piece of wood!

Ben

Offline Blaflair2

Re: How to deal with knots
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 10:04:50 am »
Ur doing what u have to already. Leave it wide and follow the grain around it and bobs ur uncle, u got a peep sight! It looks like u took into account everything. Leave it a little stiff once u tiller.
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 10:06:32 am »
Once by get the ring chased I usually clean it up with my scraper and poly the back. Little protection and easy to take off. Take care of the tear outs
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Bogaman

• steve white
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 10:14:27 am »
I'd say offhand your still good. You could leave the knot in or take it off, maybe. I'd need the wood in hand or some more pictures of the whole stave. In the past knots were really taboo. But as more hardheaded bowyers forged ahead and made many useful bows with knots in them, such as this, the info on knots has changed.
If you take your scraper and take the back down to one ring from 6" above to 6" below the knot where you can see and follow the grain as it goes around the knot, it will help to make a decision on whether to leave the knot or not;^)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 10:28:18 am by Bogaman »

Offline Bogaman

• steve white
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 10:20:08 am »
If this is your first bow, you should find someone local to guide you thru the build. Another option would be to set it aside until you have some experience under your belt.

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 11:15:47 am »
I deal with them by leaving them in the tree and not cutting it. ;)
 I really only select wood that is perfect as I can find. From an engineering standpoint there is zero benefit to knots and wiggles in the grain.
 I know that's not a popular opinion.  :-X

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 12:16:43 pm »
How much width do you have left on the wide side of the knot?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 12:36:48 pm »
How much width do you have left on the wide side of the knot?

i was thinking the same thing. looks like theres enough room to follow the grain on the inner part of the knot and get rid of it entirely.

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 12:52:11 pm »
Theres just over an inch on the side of the knot.  My taper is 2 inches at fadeout to 1 inch at the nock

Offline Bogaman

• steve white
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 03:31:16 pm »
Both 2" at the fade and 1" at the tip are more than needed for an osage bow. You can actually get much smaller at the tip. Have you taken it down to one ring on the back on both sides of the knot? What do the longitudinal grains lines look like on both sides of the knot?

Offline Bogaman

• steve white
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 03:37:15 pm »
It looks to me like you could eliminate the knot, leaving a little snaky curve in that part of the bow.

Offline Bogaman

• steve white
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 03:39:23 pm »
Or knot!

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 05:50:12 pm »
Do you have a recommendation on dimensions.  Its a 72" bow,  I have a 31" draw and was looking at 40#-50#, thats why I was looking at such a large bow.