Author Topic: The Showdown  (Read 111520 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
The Showdown
« on: April 27, 2014, 04:03:01 pm »
Molecular level  :o ?  I don't think so.  Cellular level yes and the glue line is there, it may be thin but it's still there.  Glue does not react the same as wood when compressed, or stretched and that will affect how the wood reacts as well.

A flatbow does not need to have 1 1/2" wide limbs to be a flatbow.  A flatbow only means that the limbs are flat, it has no reference to their width.  Still you can make them as wide as you want.

Not quite sure where people get this length measurements in relation to draw weight.  The length of a bow is directly proportional to draw length, draw weight is irrelevant.  That's like saying you are going to make a a 60" bow for a guy that wants a 35# bow with a  32" draw, absurd.  You can make a 60" bow pull 100# as long as the draw length matches the length of the bow.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline adb

Re: Re: Tri-Lam Bow. Why?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 04:44:56 pm »
Yes, with the type of glue I'm using, it occurs at the molecular level. Do your research... I did.

You didn't answer the question about hysteresis.

If I'm making a bow that will be higher draw weight and/or longer draw length, I'll make it longer and/or wider.

I want to see you make a 100# 60" flatbow please. And not one that draws 2". It would have to be of some meaningful use, with a draw length of at least 24"-26". A 60" bow of 50# can easily be pulled to 28".

You threw it out there. Let's see it. I'm challenging you to put your money where your mouth is. And we're talking a flatbow here, not a composite horsebow, static recurve, etc. Backed or unbacked... up to you.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 04:55:54 pm by adb »

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 04:56:34 pm »
What do you mean by "molecular level"? What type of glue? 
 I'm not sure why a 60 inch flatbow with 100 pound draw of reasonable length is unattainable. What exactly is going to happen to prevent that?

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 04:59:39 pm »
You're welcome to make one too, Pat. Feel free to join the challenge. Talk is cheap. I will gladly congratulate either one of you if you can pull it off.

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 05:13:14 pm »
Another one?  ;)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 05:28:56 pm »
You guys all just need to hug it out  ;)  >:D

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 05:38:41 pm »
You're welcome to make one too, Pat. Feel free to join the challenge. Talk is cheap. I will gladly congratulate either one of you if you can pull it off.

You need to chill out there Adam before you blow a gasket.

I am thoroughly amazed that you actually think it cannot be done

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 05:50:47 pm »
This bow is not 100# but it's also a bit less than 60" long so it should at least suggest to you that building a bow 60" long and 100# is well within the realm of the possible.  At 55" long this bow is admittedly a bit under built for its draw length of 28" where it pulls 65#, it's also a selfbow

As an aside, I was recently asked to build a 65" recurve of 135# on a 32" draw, I did refuse the build but not because it can't be done.  I'm just tired of making high draw weight bows and it would be a task.

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 05:55:48 pm »
 are you talkong about a stiff handle here?....with a stiff handle bow thats not so easy to pull off as you might think....100lb bow will be quite thick and inflexible at 60" long, I wouldnt like to make 100 lb bow that short.....50-60lb you still have to get it just right not to get excessevie set....but 100 lbs will be difficult.....
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 06:18:14 pm »
Nobody said anything about it being easy, someone said it was impossible.
 All about good wood selection and execution. A number of years ago I had a 60 inch HHB pulling 100 pounds at 26 inches. It stacked rather abruptly at that length as might be expected and I attempted to put the shortest hooks on the tips to sneak another inch of draw out of it. The steaming did not go well however.
 Any bowyer worth their salt could take a flat crowned piece of high quality Elm, HHB or Osage and make a 100 pounder  at only 60 inches with a 26 inch draw or slightly more.
 Heck, I'll bet adb his pride and joy Ipe recurve that I can do it again.  >:D

Offline adb

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 07:48:52 pm »
OK... I'm waiting. You too Marc. 65# ain't 100#. Until either of you have one to show us. I'll be waiting. No recurves, or statics remember. We're talking a stiff handled flatbow here. 100#@26", 60".

The bow you posted, Marc, isn't even close. Until you guys do this, I'm callin' yah on it.

Offline adb

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 07:52:03 pm »

You need to chill out there Adam before you blow a gasket.

I am thoroughly amazed that you actually think it cannot be done

I'm not even close to 'blowing a gasket.' But I am calling you out on your claim. You and PatM have made some pretty bold claims. Prove it. I will gladly eat humble pie if either of you are able.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 07:55:11 pm by adb »

Offline adb

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 07:57:13 pm »

Offline PatM

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2014, 08:10:50 pm »
I'll be wanting your recurve.  You can't say no.
 Why exactly do you think it can't be done? Why would making it a recurve make it  "easier".
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 08:17:31 pm by PatM »

Offline adb

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2014, 08:17:10 pm »
Nobody said anything about a bow trade here. What are you offering? I will congratulate you on your achievement if you can pull it off. Remember, it's you guys that said you could do this.

One tiny addendum here gentleman... your bows must last more than a couple of shots.