Author Topic: The Showdown  (Read 111493 times)

Offline PatM

Re: Re: Tri-Lam Bow. Why?
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2014, 08:18:18 pm »
Because you called me out and I get to dictate terms. That's how a duel works. ;)

Offline adb

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2014, 08:26:27 pm »
Well, it's mostly Marc that I'm calling out, but fine. I'll make you one of my static recurves if you can make this bow. You pay shipping if it comes down to it. Agreed?

Just so we're chrystal clear...

60" OAL
100#@26"
Stiff handled flatbow, pyramid style
No: recurves, flipped tips, sinew, statics, composite horsetype bows, or anything else. A flatbow.

Kinda strange you want one of my recurves. I thought yours were top shelf?

Offline adb

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2014, 08:27:53 pm »
I'll be wanting your recurve.  You can't say no.
 Why exactly do you think it can't be done? Why would making it a recurve make it  "easier".

We weren't talking about recurves. Flatbow. Only.

Offline adb

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2014, 08:30:44 pm »
Oh, yah... if either of you have a bow to show us, it's specs need to be verified by a third party. Or a youtube video of you drawing this bow on the tiller to 100#@26" so it's clear to see, and more than once. You can easily post a pic of whatever you want, and call it whatever you want. If I'm puttin' up a bow, this will be fair and honest.

blackhawk

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2014, 08:45:43 pm »
I think I'm on my 3rd bucket of popcorn and looks like I'll be needing another one or two before this ones over  :laugh:

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2014, 08:59:20 pm »
I'm all out blackhawk, need to go to the store for more :D

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2014, 09:02:43 pm »
are you talkong about a stiff handle here?....with a stiff handle bow thats not so easy to pull off as you might think....100lb bow will be quite thick and inflexible at 60" long, I wouldnt like to make 100 lb bow that short.....50-60lb you still have to get it just right not to get excessevie set....but 100 lbs will be difficult.....

The only thing difficult to do with a build like this is pulling it back.  Set is irrelevant, you just account for it.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2014, 09:05:12 pm »
Any bowyer worth their salt could take a flat crowned piece of high quality Elm, HHB or Osage and make a 100 pounder  at only 60 inches with a 26 inch draw or slightly more.

I was going to say the same thing Pat.  The 26" might be pushing it for reliability though

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2014, 09:10:39 pm »
I think I'm on my 3rd bucket of popcorn and looks like I'll be needing another one or two before this ones over  :laugh:

Chris, I've been just reading and waiting to see who flinches first. Those guys must still be snowed in. ;D That white stuff will drive you crazy after awhile. Time to make another bowl. :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2014, 09:13:45 pm »
Honestly Adam I think you need to take a step back and think about this a bit.  There is no logical reason such a build cannot be made.  If you continue to insist that this cannot be done then I guess you need to get a bit more experience under your belt.

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PatM

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2014, 09:16:10 pm »
I don't actually want your bow, but I know you want to try to keep it. ;)
 It's on.
 Still, could you answer the recurve question? Shouldn't recurving make it more stressed and likely to fail?

ps What is with the pyramid request? A flatbow is ANY kind of flatbow. I'll be deciding that.
 pps: It may be that you are saying a flatbow of any style, including a pyramid?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 09:28:03 pm by PatM »

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2014, 09:51:47 pm »
I was going to try and split this thread because once again we have basically hijacked it but it is quite convoluted.  If anyone wants to continue such a discussion then please start another thread.

Sorry about the mess arachnid

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Badger

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2014, 10:19:58 pm »
  One thing about a heavy bow or a light bow, there is only one correct thickness for any particular style or length, regardless of draw weight. Draw weight should be controlled only by width in the perfect world that I am sure we are all striving for.

Offline adb

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2014, 10:38:41 pm »
Honestly Adam I think you need to take a step back and think about this a bit.  There is no logical reason such a build cannot be made.  If you continue to insist that this cannot be done then I guess you need to get a bit more experience under your belt.

Then do it!!! I'm not the one making the bold claims.

Offline adb

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2014, 10:41:20 pm »
I don't actually want your bow, but I know you want to try to keep it. ;)
 It's on.
 Still, could you answer the recurve question? Shouldn't recurving make it more stressed and likely to fail?

ps What is with the pyramid request? A flatbow is ANY kind of flatbow. I'll be deciding that.
 pps: It may be that you are saying a flatbow of any style, including a pyramid?

What kinda time frame are we looking at here?