Author Topic: Wings and skins !  (Read 1196 times)

Offline Poggins

Wings and skins !
« on: April 30, 2014, 02:28:13 pm »
My supervisor and his hunting buddies went to southwestern Oklahoma on a turkey / hog hunt and brought me back two pair of turkey wings and some rattle snake skins , the skins came from a snake wrangler they know down there , he uses them in demos and sells the meat , he saved the skins back and gave them to the guys along with one complete snake minus the head .
Looks to be about ten plus skins in one bag , going to be like Christmas getting into that ziplock .

I'll post pics of them when I get a chance to get them out and cleaned up and stretched .

Offline autologus

Re: Wings and skins !
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 02:39:19 pm »
Sounds kind of like me this weekend but better, I was able to put 3 copperheads in the freezer, now I have 4.  Just have to find the time to skin them out and stretch and dry them.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 01:31:08 pm »
Nice haul, even better friends!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Poggins

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 02:30:58 pm »
Thanks PD , Grady , I'm working on a recurve for him , cut the osage last year and got it down to floor tiller then let it set all summer , last fall I put the recurves in and straightened it , the string still lays down one side of the handle so I need to try and get another half inch to center the string in the handle , I've had a string on it and have it close to tiller .
Hope there is a match to the unskined one in the bag , have a 63" skin ready for his bow but looking at the one he just gave me got me to thinking " maybe a matched set of skins starting with the tails cut off at the rattles starting at antler tip overlays carved to match the rattles , wrap the skins down the sides and leave the belly uncovered to show the wood ," it would look like two snakes head to head at the handle going out to the rattles at the tips .
Sound like a good idea ?