Author Topic: ATATL however its spelled  (Read 11557 times)

Offline huntertrapper

ATATL however its spelled
« on: December 30, 2007, 01:20:00 am »
if anyone knows what i mean, anyone use one for hunting
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

Re: ATATL however its spelled
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 02:06:17 am »
......Its spelled atlatal. Its use is not allowed ta my knowledge except on private lands ta include game ranches ifn thats yer taste.

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 02:27:42 am »
nope aint in my taste at all no respect for that type of huntin i was just wondering
Modern Day Tramp

Offline mitchman

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 11:20:47 am »
i throw them but they are only allowed in a couple staes i think to hunt with. they're fun though

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 11:47:38 am »
This year they allowed them in Mo. for small game...like im gonna throw a 6" spear at a squirrel! ???....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Bishop

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 11:52:17 am »
I have a hard enough time hitting those buggers with my trusty ole 410, im sure i couldnt hit em hucking a spear in their direction....but it is a interesting idea.... ;D

Bishop

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 02:30:43 pm »
Bob, Isn't it spelled atlatl (pronounced at-lattel). I know folks that are good enough with them to hunt with them but I don't know if most states allow them for hunting. Probably most state officials wouldn't even know what they are. ;)     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 02:54:32 pm »
There is a world atlatl association, complete with web page and info.  Last spring I read an article where the author had contacted state game agencies checking the legality of hunting/ fishing with atlatls.  Many of the contacted officials had no idea what an atlatl was.  After interpeting their state regulations though an answer was recieved from most states.  Totally not OK in some.  OK for fishing just about every where that spear fishing is OK.  And OK for small game, non game, private  or feral species in several others.  You will need to contact your own state agency before hunting!   Oh and practice a lot.  My own skills with an atlatl are truly pitiful, but some people are awesome with the things.  Try checking youtube for atlatl videos.    Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 04:05:04 pm »
.............Pat.I have seen it referred to and spelled both ways. Maybe your spellin' is the most accepted. Yes I agree, most state officials would not even know what they are. Amazin' huh ? I know they dont know down here when asked. >:(....bob

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 05:05:05 pm »
 8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kegan

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 06:49:18 pm »
There was somehting about having an atlat season in PA a few years back. Never got anywhere- not alot of people knew what it was.

And I only learned to spell it atlatl 'cause that's how I saw it the first time I read it ;D

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2007, 08:40:16 pm »
Kegan,  Just a play off your tag line.  There is a guy calls hisself Atlatl Bob, who often says that man's distancing from nature and general decline began when the bow was invented.  Course then I  think he's over looking the fact that most of the america's megafauna became extinct shortly after atlatl toting folks arrived on the continent.  I mean there went the neighborhood.  ;) ;) ;)     Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline lowell

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2007, 11:14:08 pm »
Used one at a rendezvous this summer and of course had to build one.  Sent for a book and built an atlatl and a dart.  Still have to put a leather strap on it but kind of lost interest.

It's of course made of osage but think I'll stick to bows!!
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2007, 11:17:27 pm »
..........................They are easier ta be more accurate with ifn ya good with a spear. At least thats been my experience. And OH YEAH they kill very efficiently ! :o.bob

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2007, 01:12:08 am »
    Sorry ,But it's spelled ," ATLATL" ,and in Florida if the point is 7/8" wide it can be used.And here's the catch,whichever Game Officer you happen to talk to. But you can stick hogs on private property with whatever you want.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?