Author Topic: Who was your inspiration?  (Read 14079 times)

Offline longbow man

Re: Who was your inspiration?
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2014, 06:46:09 am »
   In regards to Zuma's request for more info:  Sweetwood shafts were made from precut pieces of wood(sorry I don't know what kind) that was then compressed considerably. Once that was done they were then cut to size and rounded. No need to foot the shaft because the whole shaft was tough. Years later I talked to a student who did tests with compressed wood and he said a knife would just slide the  piece and not cut in. Question: where are these shafts today when we need them? The co. is long out of business but why can't we reproduce it today? Something to ponder.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2014, 11:15:53 am »
Thanks longbow,
I wonder if it is Port Orford cedar? They were all the rage back in early 60's.
Compression straightened?
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2014, 11:54:33 am »
I have to say without a though that Pappy has been my mentor for the inspiration and direction of the Iowa Path! We are helping new people every month learn to make bows and flint knap with that direction.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2014, 11:57:24 am »
My inspiration was Tarzan.  no joke
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2014, 03:06:10 pm »
My inspiration was Tarzan.  no joke

i never doubted that for a second lol

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2014, 10:57:23 pm »
Per your request Zuma:

Jerry Wilson was a gifted and knowledgeable, practitioner of primitive skills.  He made this gorget sporting twin warriors with flint blades and bows. It may be the last gorget he made as it arrived at my house in late December and he passed away in late winter.

Jerry worked at many public events demonstrating his primitive crafts.  He taught me (and many others) a lot and I admired his skill.  I was able to get started doing shell work thanks to his advice and direction.   

Here's to our mentors who pass the torch!

As I look at my path to where i am today, I have many mentors. 

Hunting/ fishing - dad and grandfathers
first bow and interest in archery - My dad
Hide Tanning - Bob Fox
First long bow ever made under Jeff Struberg
First Osage bow made under Gordon Holmes
Shell art - Jerry Wilson and Chris Crabtree
Stone Ax creation - Larry Kinsella
Cordage making and finger weaving - Jim Phillips
Sinew string - Patrick Blank (via PA)

As I look at a closet full of primitive items I can clearly see a whole host of people who gave of themselves.   Today, I make intentional efforts to share the crafts I have accumulated.  If I ever become fortunate enough to be on someone's list of mentors, well, then I have done what I am supposed to do.  Pass it on. 

cool thread.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2014, 08:35:00 am »
Any of you who have thrown out little bits of information have been my teacher. Even if you have made a post that was really bad info, that is still a good lesson. selfsufficient tyke is one of my oldest friends, and like a brother to me. He is a great guy, and builds lots of things. Guitar straps, Mocks, Bows, Kilns, Knives. Really whatever he sets his mind to. He makes great Buffalo Burgers, and good whiskey to go with. He is also a great fishing partner. I really do appreciate all of the info that is shared on this site. Some of the things I see just blow me away. Thanks again for all the lessons, and the escape from TV and sitting on the couch!
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2014, 09:14:51 am »
A little more info about Forgewood shafts;

Forgewood is the registered trade name of all compressed wood shafts and arrows made by a unique process that was developed in 1947 by Bill Sweetland. Using much of the original equipment, Forgewood technology is now being used here in Alaska.

Forgewood shafts are made by compressing softwood, e.g. Mountain Hemlock, Sitka Spruce, etc. under controlled conditions. The density tapers from 3 times greater at the tip of the shaft to 1.8 times greater at the nock end. This produces a very slender 5/16 parallel shaft with very high cross sectional density, low wind resistance and amazing durability. Forgewoods have always been noted for extreme penetration and deadliness in hunting.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2014, 02:15:25 pm »
iowabow, A deserved endorsement of Pappy. Hope to meet him some day.

Tim, I used to sneak into the movie theater as a kid to see JANE. lol

Thank you swampy. Most appreciated.

Jo Jo nice words for a friend. Wish he would post his burger recipe on
"Chow down from the woods and garden" thread. lol

Eric, great info on the shafts.

thanks, to you all
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline longbow man

« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2014, 04:21:17 pm »
   Thanks Eric on the info. Read the  article once and over the years things got fuzzy. Funny how that happens.

Offline hammerstone

« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2014, 11:31:06 am »
Well i'm on here a lot , but like to read more than i like to talk so here's a little about me.No one ever had to lead me to the outdoors,it was always a part of me. My parents had the good sense to buy me a shotgun when i was ten and mom would take me to which ever woods i wanted to hunt and pick me up in the evenings (thanks mom).Then in my teens i came across a book called THE SEARCH by Tom Brown j.r. , now here was a guy who was living the life i was dreaming of.Some of Toms stories are a little hard to swallow,but i have everything he ever wrote and fact or fiction i would rather read that stuff than the latest issue of Forbes any day (although Homer does make a pretty good furniture polish) Then one day i met Fred Bear, he was hangin on a peg in a JC Penny store in the form of a 53" Black Panther recurve.I proceeded to shoot the finish off that little sucker and pick up more bad habits than you could shake an arrow at, i dislike short bows to this day and get target panic just looking at a traditional target, but i was hooked. I shot glass for about ten years and killed a lot of game with them. Then one day i saw the first issue of PA,something about that cover shot with stone pointed arrow on a snake skin backed bow fascinated me,and it always will.

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2014, 02:13:11 am »
My Grandfather and Great Aunt. I am lucky enough to have a very rich Native American history. My Grandfather's name goes way back in the Peoria tribe. My Great Aunt was the oldest living Peoria Indian in recorded tribal history. She lived to be 107.
They both, especially my Grandfather, taught me tons. Leather work, beading, tanning, smoking meats, NA food, stories of what life was truly like generations ago, the list goes on.
PA? Well, looking around on he internet, and found a brotherhood of people with similar interests.
I was always told that I was born a century or two too late, and found that there were a lot of me out there!

A big Thanks to my heritage and the wonderful folks here at PA!

God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

FAW

« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2014, 11:23:23 pm »
My Dad - gave me an old fibreglass bow when I was six, showed me how to make cedar arrows from split rail fences on the farm, how to use my jackknife to narrow the piece of cedar from the point to the back  and fire-harden the tip, how to make a bow that would fire these arrows from the branch of a green apple tree when  the old 15 pound fibreglass didn't have the ""öomph"to deliver the arrow. I guess you could say it got me "hooked". By the way, I still have that old fibreglass bow and my Granddaughters are now using it with my supervision.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2014, 12:16:38 am »
I'd have to say Dan Quillian. If probably not for Dan I'd likely be shooting wheels.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2014, 02:31:00 pm »
Wow, Thanks folks for such great testimonials.
I really enjoy reading this thread. I go back and re read many posts.
Keep em coming.
Zuma