Author Topic: (One more Question)Arrows blanks  (Read 3124 times)

Offline Mad Max

(One more Question)Arrows blanks
« on: May 06, 2014, 07:03:50 pm »
I got a dozen P O cedar  arrow blanks (raw) at the TN Classic
I am going to let them dry in the house for a while before sealing    Right????
can I seal with shellac ????  wipe it on???? how many coats????
anything else???
Thanks
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 10:39:39 pm by Mad Max »
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Arrows blanks
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 07:15:10 pm »
Shellac will probably work. I used to use water based poly on cedars and I've used Tru-Oil. Two coats of either works good.
 Give them a week to acclimatize to your climate then seal them.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 07:42:55 pm »
Thanks Pat
I want to stain before True Oil ?  Alcohol Based Stain's or Water-Based Stain???

This is my First time on Arrows :)
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 09:41:25 pm »
Either one will work, but I like the looks of alcohol based the best.  Just make sure they are good and dry before applying a finish.
Good luck,  making your own arrows is real satisfying, especially when the shoot well.  :) ;)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 10:49:10 pm »
Thanks Guy's

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 11:06:36 pm »
Both alcohol and water based will work but water based will raise the grain of the wood so you will have to sand them after applying it. With alcohol the alcohol will evaporate without raising the grain and may even penetrate the wood better.
Unsweetened Kool-Aid or RIT dye work well for inexpensive color with either water or alcohol.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 12:55:50 pm »
Thanks Pat

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 02:13:54 pm »
Is tru-oil a finish , or does a sealer go over the top
Thanks

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: (One more Question)Arrows blanks
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 06:30:29 pm »
Tru-Oil is a gun stock finish. I've used it on most of the bows I've built over the years and on some arrows. You can put th Tru-Oil over the stain or dye you use on the arrows.