Author Topic: " The Vibe"  (Read 10306 times)

Offline wildman

" The Vibe"
« on: May 07, 2014, 11:43:53 pm »
A lot has been said about The Classic, this is my thought of the day or my 2 bits. I cannot describe the great vibe and energy coming from everyone and everything going on there. I mean where else in the world can you leave $1000s of gear laying about,see children packing and using weaponry, all sorts of bearded,long haired tattooed rabble (myself included), great friendship over breaking rock,stiff drinks,and wood shavings, while having meaningful conversations with some of the most interesting/talented folks you will ever meet and not have a worry in the world ??????? I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!

WILDMAN
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: " The Vibe"
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 11:55:44 pm »
Little kids running around and everyone keeping an eye out for their safety.  Folks wandering up to pet your dog.  Strangers talking smack about your shooting with a grin and a twinkle in their eye. People you have never laid eyes on before in your life, giving you a bearhug or a bowstave. 

Yeah, there is a vibe there alright. 

I am online tonite for the first time in over a week, since I left for the Classic, in fact.  I am reading posts about the Classic and writing posts about the Classic.  And there is a wistful feeling in the air, joy over the memories, sadness because I didn't get to speak at length with a lot of people I wanted to spend time with, and deep regret that I didn't even meet some of the people that I knew were there. 

I am blessed to have gotten to go two years in a row.  God has been more than good to me all my life, he has met all my needs.  And it seems lately that He is meeting all my desires as well. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 12:10:51 am »
It was an amazing experience and the people made it that way.  It is what "community" should feel like.  You know, it is always sort of a sad feeling to strike camp and take your tent down, no matter where you are camping, but this time it really hurt.  It is a shame to have to leave such a great place, but I have something to look forward to till next year.   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 12:30:37 am »
My first trip to Twin Oaks, about 7 years ago, made me feel like I was coming home. I was greeted like a long lost brother and I've been drawn back each year since by that "vibe".
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline 4dog

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 07:55:33 am »
this was my first classic..one thought struck me hard....everyone has a time and place that they wish was life...and didnt really want to end..kinda sappy i know...this was my time and place...everything about it has left a mark on me somewhere (even the ticks...just two thank goodness..lol) i will definately be back!!     O:)
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 09:09:52 am »
Definitely one of my favorite events ever and I've been to a lot over the years. Nothin quite like it. TENNESSEE!!! dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Parnell

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 10:24:54 am »
So many students I teach hear about "the vibe" and want to go there someday, so badly.  It really strikes me for some of the boys who have no father around and want so badly a positive male figure in their life.  Begging me to take them...

The students want so badly to experience something in their life where they can trust the people around them and see the natural beauty of a place like Twin Oaks.  Many of my students have never left South Florida.

Evidence to me that people really are good inside.  Gives me hope for all of us.
1’—>1’

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 02:44:25 pm »
At the risk of making all this go "touchy feelie", events like this are how we men nurture each other.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 02:50:22 pm »
At the risk of making all this go "touchy feelie", events like this are how we men nurture each other.

Not to exclude women, of course, but JW that does raise a lot of interesting social questions, doesn't it?  I'm not going to dive too deep here, just enjoy what we've got.  Have a great day! :)
1’—>1’

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 02:51:12 pm »
Id liken it to the ole "leading a horse to water" adage. We can tell you a million times over what its like at pappy's, but you wont buy it until you go and see for yourself. It physically hurt me not going this year, knowing full well what I was missing. Need me some of that classic crack man!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 03:26:03 pm »
Yeah, "The Vibe" sums it up... that buzz of rock breakin' and bow makin' .
Whole families with primitive bows :laugh:... in the UK the kids would have compounds (spits on floor).
Great place, I haven't come down yet... it's rained all day here so I've been writing up my exploits on the blog and for my collaboration with JW hopefully to make it into PA.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 04:03:07 pm »
Id liken it to the ole "leading a horse to water" adage. We can tell you a million times over what its like at pappy's, but you wont buy it until you go and see for yourself. It physically hurt me not going this year, knowing full well what I was missing. Need me some of that classic crack man!

Don't have to tell me how it feels to not be able to go to Pappy's
Gut wrenching ain't it
but Pearly we have Marshall some of these poor folks have nothing

It does make a fellow sick to miss out on going to Pappy's
But after 20 yrs at Marshall it would most likely be the end of me if I could not get to it

Pappy's place , Marshall and the folks on this forum they all make a big difference in my life
and that is way more than just a Vibe
Thanks to you all
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline 4dog

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 04:29:11 pm »
AND!! this is why i started the Yegua bow bust!!    hoping it catches on...cause the classic is a loooong way to go for a Texan...but...itll never replace pappy and his team!!
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2014, 07:42:22 pm »
Pearlie summed it up, Missed ya, man, hopefully see you next year.

Can somebody post up a link to Del's Blog? Save me from hunting for it. :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2014, 07:57:44 pm »
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.nz/

Hopefully the .co.nz on the end doesn't screw it up for you guys, it seems to just detect where I'm from :P