Author Topic: Feather chopper  (Read 4380 times)

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
Feather chopper
« on: December 30, 2007, 03:45:17 pm »
   Anyone hever bild a feather chopper.. i got a ton of turkey feathers.. and i wanna make fleaching... now i can do it the abo way.. but i got 100+ feathers.. and i dont wont to spend $100 on a chopper..
  My idea is to take a banding strap sharpin 1 side bend it into the shape. and inlay it into a block of wood and add a 2nd block of wood and wah la.. i recon i' have a feather chopper...
 Anyone elce ever tryed this or dose anyone have a beter idea?
Mililani Hawaii

wvfknapper

Re: Feather chopper
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 04:22:41 pm »
Thats about all the costly choppers are,, they just have a hinge for the two pieces of wood so the cuts are consistent, shouldnt be too hard to make one.

wvflintknapper

Offline markinengland

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 07:32:50 pm »
The feather chopper is quite hard spring steel I think. It cuts against a softer metal. I think this is needed to get a clean cut on the feather. A chopper is a simple tool and costs only about $20 to buy new.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 12:57:17 am »
   I've bought 3 choppers and none cost more than $28 dollars. Three Rivers sells them.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 07:25:37 pm »
I like scissors-takes only a few seconds to shape a fletching. You can make a template or just eyeball it.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 07:33:56 pm »
I like scissors-takes only a few seconds to shape a fletching. You can make a template or just eyeball it.

Thats what I've been doing and works pretty good, tried burning them but I burnt em right up :-[
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI