Author Topic: Classic built bows  (Read 8271 times)

Offline Badly Bent

Re: Classic built bows
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2014, 09:17:34 pm »
And to think I just shook my head and walked away when you showed me that sliver of a stave.  I sure didn't think there was a bow in that one Howard. You now have me thinking that your bow building talent rivals your guitar pickin' and singin' talent. :)  Nice job, that one was a nasty piece of wood before you worked it up.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2014, 09:23:14 pm »
Thanks half eye, Bill and Greg.  Greg, like they say, it don't take much osage to make a bow.   :)
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2014, 09:28:12 pm »
Depends on whose working it, takes more and better stuff than that for me to get a bow that good Howard.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2014, 09:42:29 pm »
I don't know about that Greg.  I was lucky enough to see your bows up close and they are amazing.  The pics don't do them justice.  Have you made any headway with that birch bow that you were working on?  I know you have had to work a lot lately.  Funny how work gets in the way of bow making, huh? 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2014, 10:08:15 pm »
Dang Howard.  You made a fine looking bow out of that fence post.  Great job on it.  I bet you anything that your little splinter bow will out perform my curly dog  :-[
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2014, 10:58:18 pm »
Thanks Clint.  I hate that the curly wood isn't all that.  It sure is some pretty stuff.  Reckon a deep heat treating would help it along?
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2014, 11:51:20 pm »
Quote from: MWirwicki link=topic=46463.msg635243#msg635243 dat. 1400155125
I made a bow out ofitthe sunken osage wood that GSulfridge passed on to a. ew of us.  JW (damn him) came up with "Yellow Submarine".  Wished I would of tho. ht of that.  Anyhow, I chased a ring, cut out the rough and heated it one night.  Worked again on it Saturday around midnight.  It ended up 52# and I shot it very well the next morning for the Selfbow Challenge.  Couldn't beat Cody though.  He was a machine.  I sanded and dipped it last night.  I'll post pics this evening.
Glad it worked for ya Matt. I was hoping that it was decent wood.  I was carrying a stave out of it at the Classic when JW asked me if was out of the Yellow Submarine. I thought to myself then that Yellow Submarine was pretty catchy phrasing for it. JW is a pretty witty guy.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline robtattoo

« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2014, 05:26:42 pm »

I didn't solely work on this at the Classic, but I did get it finished up....

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. (I came, I saw, I stuck around)

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2014, 09:19:02 pm »
Nice bow!

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2014, 12:52:35 am »
  Howard, I'm liking that fence post 8)  Nice job twisting, torturing and taming that character piece bud...
                                                                                                      Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2014, 12:59:49 am »
 Nice one Rob, Good job on the bend 8)  Thought we had a hinge until I went back and looked at the braced pic...Nice work on that lower limb ;)
                                                                   Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2014, 01:01:14 am »
Nice bow Robtattoo.  You might want some better footwear when you take that thing bear hunting  ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2014, 06:27:00 pm »
Nice bow Rob!  I bet that one shoots sweet. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2014, 09:26:39 am »
Here's a couple.  One for me, one for Miss Heather.  Her's was from a small diameter tree that I cut back in 1996.  Got her to 40# @ 26.  Mine started out as a gift stave from GSulfridge.  The bow practically made itself.  It shot very well for me on the course.  This may just be my new "go-to" bow for the 3-D ranges.  Thanks Greg! 

Sorry, no full draw pics.  The little woman was working all day cleaning out the chicken coops.  She didn't feel pretty enough for a pic.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 09:29:46 am by MWirwicki »
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2014, 12:00:01 pm »
Looks like the perfect pair Matt!! Good job.