Author Topic: first post.  (Read 7248 times)

Offline ABrown

first post.
« on: May 13, 2014, 12:54:40 am »
New to all of this. Really wanting to give up the compound for a self-longbow. Built my first one out of hickory this year. It was very green and after 35-40 shots, it broke. But God is growing new trees everyday. A friend of mine has given me a piece of seasoned Osage Orange. Haven't cut any length; just chasing a growth ring right now. Any suggestions on anything at all.

Offline 4dog

Re: first post.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 07:20:27 am »
search osage orange here ..plenty of build alongs...that being said a straight ahead flat bow no bells or whistles was my first and its still hunting today...and go slow....ask questions and post pics...everyone helps everyone here,thats what makes this place so special.
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 09:28:51 am »
Id suggest tuning into the "Bows" section daily, several times if possible. The amount of easily obtained info that flows through that board daily is crazy.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 01:01:48 pm »
If Pearlie is lyin', I'm diein'!

So you broke a bow?  Well, there ya go, got that experience under your belt.  No need to ever do it again, right?  There is a saying that is tossed around here a great deal, "if you ain't breakin', you ain't makin'!"  You can take that as a fact, too. 

Take your time chasing that growth ring.  It's the hardest thing in the whole process, until you get it figured out....then it's laughably easy!  Meanwhile, start asking yourself what you want the bow do DO FOR YOU. Do you want it for hunting or target shooting or just something go hang up over the fireplace?  Do you want to replicate a Native American or Indo-European artifact?  Or do you just want something functional without having to represent a certain time and place.  Is this going to be the "one and done" bow (as if that is possible) or do you want to keep learning by doing more bows?  Spend a little time thinking about those things and we'll all chip in with our advice as to what design you can lean towards.  We'll walk you thru this, no need for you to suffer alone in silence with this addiction.  We are all here for you.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 02:16:10 pm »
Well welcome to the party!  I'd suggest read and build and read some more.  See the how tos on this site and the great bows posted by these crazy bowyers.  Search online for build alongs including YouTube.  And check out the great books and videos out there.  BTW we all break bows, I blew up one at the TN classic recently, maybe my 30th bow or so.  Just give it a moment of silence, laugh, and throw it in the fire pit!  Part of the process.   ;)  Oh and don't forget to SHOOT and have fun as you go!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline 4dog

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 08:36:19 am »
didnt know yours blew too Rob..we could have sword fought with our sticks...though mine went around corners!!
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 01:35:19 pm »
didnt know yours blew too Rob..we could have sword fought with our sticks...though mine went around corners!!

haha Ya bud, more wood for the fire! 
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline ABrown

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 07:00:35 pm »
Thanks for the info guys. still chasing that growth ring. Don't know a lot about how to on Osage, but it sure is a pretty piece of Osage. Wide growth rings and pretty straight too. I'll try to put some pictures of here so you can monitor my progress. I'm going to shoot for somewhere around 60# @ 27 inches and 61 to 62 inches long with a shelf. 

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 08:55:06 am »
Thanks for the info guys. still chasing that growth ring. Don't know a lot about how to on Osage, but it sure is a pretty piece of Osage. Wide growth rings and pretty straight too. I'll try to put some pictures of here so you can monitor my progress. I'm going to shoot for somewhere around 60# @ 27 inches and 61 to 62 inches long with a shelf. 

For your first bow i would suggest going longer if you can. 62" with an 8" handle/riser section leaves you with 54" of working limbs. Very doable with osage but your tiller needs to be near perfect to get it out to 27" draw. I would suggest at least 65 or 66 inches for your first if your stave is long enough. If 62 is as long as you can get then i would suggest making it a bendy handle bow ( the more working limb you have, the more forgiving the bow is of less than perfect tiller). You could also make your first out of a cheap board to get tillering practice before trying the osage. Any way you decide to go be sure to post lots of pictires and ask lots of questions. Good luck.
Steve Bennett