Author Topic: mulberry shoots  (Read 3454 times)

Offline carpenter374

mulberry shoots
« on: December 31, 2007, 01:43:35 am »
Hey all. i was just wondering somethin. mulberry shrubs grow like wildfire around here and i thought i might graduate from the ramin wood dowels i've been shooting and try some natural shoots. they they grow pretty long and staright but are a litlle pithy. anyone ever tried this before?
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: mulberry shoots
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 11:35:15 am »
Carpenter, I have never used mulberry for arrows but if you have them available, give them a try. What I would do is collect 10 or 12 shoots(or less if not that available)bundle them up and set them aside to dry. After a month or so, scrape the bark off and reduce them(if necessary) with a thumb plane and go from there. If you have questions, you know where to come for answers.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

joewaco78

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 02:49:17 pm »
Mulberry grows around here like weeds too.. Lemme know how it works out?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 04:41:54 pm »
Most shoots need to be 2 years old to be stiff enough to work for arrows.  If they aren't stiff enough, look for two growth rings before you give up.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah