Author Topic: Tiller Help! uploaded pics, full draw?  (Read 7524 times)

gutpile

Re: Tiller Help! I don't know what to do! Updated, pics
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2014, 11:59:54 am »
one thing to help is get the bow set correctly in the pocket on tree..looks tilted which will give you a false reading on till..JMO

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2014, 11:42:27 pm »
You was right gutpile, I checked the alignment of my bow on the tiller and the position of the string on the hooks. It made a big difference. I have worked on it some more and I have it close. I will try to post some pics tomorrow for another tiller check. Thanks, Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

gutpile

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2014, 11:34:04 am »
 8) cool..glad I could be of assistance...

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2014, 10:24:35 pm »
Also, try to set it against a background of consistant contrast. It makes it much, much easier to critique accurately. Good job bringing those limbs into alignment by the way.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2014, 12:05:05 am »
Thanks dances, I am learning.

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2014, 12:16:09 am »
Well I promised to get some pics up tonight. I have done a lot of tillering and some other tweaking. I had the end break off right at the string knock. I missed my draw weight but decided to cut 2in off each end which got me to a decent draw weight that I will be happy shooting. I thought I wanted this at about 50 lbs but I ended up with 44 at 27" it is my first finished tillered Osage bow. What do you guys think? It only took just a very little set. Which after setting for about 20 min is all but gone. Thanks Patrick.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
Re: Tiller Help! I think I finally did it! Updated, pics full draw
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2014, 12:24:05 am »
Looks pretty good to me.  Why did the tip break off? Did you cut in to the back of the bow making the string nock?

Offline lebhuntfish

Re: Tiller Help! I think I finally did it! Updated, pics full draw
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2014, 12:33:04 am »
No that's a funny story bubbles.  I was stringing it by hand with an old pair of sandals on and I stepped on the tip at a little bit of an angle and it broke right where I cut the string grove in. I wasn't too upset because I already decided to pike it.  Note to self, buy new shoes! Patrick

Offline lebhuntfish

Re: Tiller Help! uploaded pics, full draw?
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2014, 09:56:10 pm »
Could I get a tiller check please???

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2014, 10:31:39 pm »
That tiller looks pretty damn good to me.  If anything hypercritical I would say your right limb is a tiny bit stiff in the outer bit.  But that's just being hypercritical as I said.  It looks pretty damn good.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2014, 10:51:18 pm »
Hey thanks IdahoMatt, I have worked very hard on this bow. This is actually what I would consider my first bow. Now should I lighten the tips some and then but in an arrow rest?  Them a snake skin and a handle wrap.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2014, 09:47:31 am »
That tiller looks good. I think you should just leave it as is. However, I like that bend in the left limb more than the bend in the right limb. The right limb has a slight weak spot in the fade, just out from the handle. Then it also has a slight stiff spot in the mid limb. It's all really minor, but it would be good for your next bows if you can see these two spots yourself as well. There's no need to change them at this point, however.
Since the tiller is good and the bow didn't fail, it's time to tidy up the tips and the handle. You could probably lighten the tips, although I can't see how wide (heavy) they are. Also cut off some of that excess wood after the string groove. You should also round the handle, but try not to cut in an arrow shelf. Trust me, you will regret that later on. If you insist on some kind of arrow shelf, it's better to glue on a shelf as opposed to cut a window into the handle. A few pieces of leather or some cork is plenty to make a tiny bulge that will hold the arrow. Wrap it with leather and presto.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2014, 06:58:19 pm »
Thanks DarkSoul, now that you point them out I do see the stiff spot on the right limb. That weak spot on the right side has been there ever since I started tillering. I thought about wrapping it with sinew because I think it's in the wood. 

The tips do need some work, especially after I cut them off.

I have been toying with the idea of a shelf or just making a nice sleek handle with a "external" shelf built up with leather or something. Thanks again, Patrick.