Author Topic: Need Help!!!  (Read 2727 times)

Little Bow

Need Help!!!
« on: December 31, 2007, 07:41:40 am »
I just started making primitive arrows with my boys.  In doing so I have come to a point where I am now painting the arrows and am wanting to be true in the markings as it would relate with different national tribes in days past.  Can someone help me in this project as I want to be authenic as possible.

jamie

Re: Need Help!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 07:50:21 am »
im no expert at this but the crestings on the shafts were more about the individual than the tribe. however if you are looking for drawings to give you an idea the books by jim hamm and steve alley, [encyclopedia of native american bows arrows, and quivers], volumes 1+2 have the best detailed drawings you will find. hope this helps. peace

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Need Help!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 07:22:55 pm »
Like Jamie said, contrary to Hollywood, I don't think there was any certain "official tribal crest"-from looking at pics of original arrows, seems like each individual painted his arrows how he liked them, probably partly for decoration/medicine and partly to identify individual's arrows for determining who killed what/who. The books Jamie mentioned have plenty of excellent detailed drawings of old arrows.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.