Author Topic: Long fade vs short fade  (Read 2690 times)

Offline wizardgoat

Long fade vs short fade
« on: May 21, 2014, 03:25:13 pm »
I'm having troubles finding information on the benefits of having long fades. Besides looking better, how does a long fade (3"or more) affect performance. I haven't made enough bows to compare, what determines fade length? Or is it just personal preference.

Offline Josh B

Re: Long fade vs short fade
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 03:34:10 pm »
For the most part, it's personal preference.  I personally like long fades in my ALB's.  But shorter bows get shorter fades.  Josh

Offline Will H

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 04:01:52 pm »
It's all preference and commen sence IMO. Longer fades equal shorter limbs. I personally like the look of them and I think on long Osage bows they are a plus.
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline bow101

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 08:21:49 pm »
What I been doing lately is experimenting with a 16" or so power lam glued on the back.  You have the ability to make a deeper handle, hence forward riser.  Once the handle section is contoured you can always remove or add material from the power lam.   ;)  and fine tune the tiller. 
Having said that I prefer a longer fade.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 12:00:35 am by bow101 »
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Weylin

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 09:07:26 pm »
I've found that you can work the bend into the longer fades and get the looks without sacrificing too much of the working length. It's still a bit of a trade off and like the other guys said, it really depends on the bow.

gutpile

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 11:54:16 am »
to me depends on length of stave...if I need a longer limb with what I got I go for a short fade...gut

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 08:56:56 pm »
I haven't made enough bows with really long fades to have established ideas or theories. The few I've made, like the Sudbury design, were smooth shooting and pleasing to the eye, but probably sacrificed something in speed or draw weight.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline gmc

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 09:35:32 pm »
Really good design question that I can't leave alone without a comment.  The flip side of the coin would have us examine some of the bend through the handle designs with very long fades although short in length such as a paddle bow, for example.  I build short bows with long fades because I like the sight picture that it gives me with a flat bow design- I don't use an arrow shelf. It is personal preference but the length really doesn't have to dictate the fade length. I bend all my bows slightly through the fades just because I like them that way and they range from 2.5 to 3.0 inches in length and the draw length just might equal 2x the length of the bow.     
Central Kentucky